Spring Bonsai is hard

I am looking to buy new hands after today :smile:

As Gimli once said…“Still only counts as ONE…!”

2 Likes

20 hours later with some help and support from the Mira community :smiling_face:

4 Likes

I get what you all are saying about bonsai wrist, but it is no joke. Consult a hand doctor to get exercises and get possible therapies for carpal tunnel. I have arthritis in my hands, exacerbated by doing bonsai. When my hands get bad, I use hand braces recommended by my physical therapist - much better than what you can pick up at the chain drugstores. Take care of your hands now and you will appreciate it later. :sunglasses:

Yes, Maryann, yes…
Been doing bonsai for a while… Today, my right knee feels like I have gout; and, my lower back is tweeking…
Been trying to downsize… Repotted my largest trees into smaller pots so I could move em. Then last spring got a bigger Jacklin Heller (?) Elm. Two hours to dig, wheelbarrol and truck to get home. Into a 3’x3’x1’ wood pot, 2 five gallon buckets of bonsai soil… Had to slide it onto a bench using a 2"x8" ramp… next to it’s little brother. Hopefully will reduce the pot size next spring…
Still have several large shimpaku to repot today!
Haute Bonsai!!!

How about after a 12+ hour repot of that giant field dug Acer, the only two people non -bonsai that have seen it commented solely “,I like the planter it’s in”…that’s another flavor of hard!

1 Like

Picked up my County Conservation District order yesterday. 5 each: Dug fir, Western Larch, Alpine fir, and Western paper bark Birch. Made forests with each…Also got 3 Kinikinic (for landscaping) and five milkweed (corms ?) for the monarch butterflys…

1 Like

Can we see them, to ease the pain of spring bonsai?

Not much to look at yet…

Alpine fir

Doug fir

Western larch

Last years Western Birch (this years are just sticks…)

Last years local seeded / grown Japanese Larch…(thnx Marty…)
I DO have way older / showable forests…
Bonsai On…

Ya, spring in the Pacific N.W.
Last week I took a long look at the predicted night temps here.
Decided to put my inside winter trees out (only 8…)… last night was 23F…
Bonsai On!

AAAAnd… now its snowing…

1 Like