Small Trident maple design

Hello, i just bought new small TM. I like its “nebari” but i don’t see its future crown. Looking for advice, what to do with it. Almost all brunches growing from one side. Height is about 14cm.

1 Like

Nice little tree, Hoping to get an air layer off some mother stock I bought last year. I would say that the 4th photo has some subtle movement that you could build the trunk line of. Maybe let a sacrifice grow out if you want to thicken it up and also leave a few sacrifices to start to build the primary structure. Because of the size you will probably get into ramification in two to three years if you set it up now. I would for now just look at setting that primary lines and let them thicken up a bit

1 Like

Another option would be to cut off the taller, trunk extension and make an even shorter tree with lots of taper. The taller extension has a fairly long first internode. The 3rd and 4th pictures would then be the best fronts.

2 Likes

1 Like

Yep, that is what I was proposing. Glad to see @NEBeech took the time to create the image. The top of the main trunk will need the be carved a bit and the lower left branch pulled down a bit.

1 Like

What if i will cut the trunk like below. How do you think, can new brunches appear in any place marked green? I see few places where old brunches grew.

When growing strongly (nice consistent fertilizer, preferably organic) tridents can and will push new buds from moderately old wood.

1 Like

They are so vigorously you could also thread graft a branch into those spots in a year if you wanted.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t cut it at that angle because there’s nothing on the left side to compartmentalize the dieback. Cutting it flush straight across where you have the two branches and node you can predict the die back , then come back once the callused has formed and start shaping it.

I like the trunk chop option because you can get better taper with the diagonal cut. Also, tridents are easy to thread graft, so you can place 4-5 new branches wherever you want.

1 Like

So one option could be to pick this as the front and grow the trident to a flame shape. Lengthen and extend the branches and work on the ramification. I’ve just drawn and outline of the shape. There probably needs to be some thinning of branches at some point to prevent swelling at the location circled. But that doesn’t need to be now.

Another alternative would be to grow are more slanted angle like below. The opposite direction would work as well, I couldn’t use the other picture to adjust the angle easily! Then you could just dome the apex.