Sierra Juniper - Share your pictures

How do you approach designing a high-alpine juniper? What design decisions help you illustrate the alpine environment? Share pictures of your Sierra Junipers to get feedback or give us insight on your process.

If you’ve been up in the high Sierra Nevada and have some awesome photos of Sierra Junipers in their natural environment, let us see! Give us some inspo.

The images below were shared with us by a fellow Mirai Live Innovator, Ryan -

IMG_8009

IMG_8005

IMG_8020

IMG_7963

IMG_7968

IMG_8003

IMG_8065

IMG_8079

IMG_7995

IMG_8061

25 Likes

Incredible images! Sierra Junipers are such amazing trees.

1 Like

Amazing trees, awesom pics, simply breathtaking!

2 Likes

Oooof! These are amazing, what spectacular trees.

3 Likes

Super awesome photos of these beautiful trees. I live in Clovis and the Sierras are in my backyard. I see so many trees while I backpack it has been difficult to reach my next projected destination due to staying with these serene trees while struck by awe.

Wonderful trees!!! I don’t have any Sierra’s… yet. But I’m looking forward to others sharing photo’s of their Sierra’s. :slight_smile:

What an incredible educational resource this is! Here’s a few that I’ve snapped over the years. Sierra Juniper is my favorite for Bonsai, they can be phenomenal living sculpture. I’m always surprised to find them growing naturally in different shapes and styles.

IMG_1040

3 Likes

IMG_2429

4 Likes

Here’s one in my collection
IMG_3017

14 Likes

here’s a pic of my recently styled sierra by Mr. Bobby

9 Likes

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but Sierra is probably my favorite tree to see in nature, as well as to collect and style. Jeremiah_Lee and bonsaiman56 those are some incredible Sierras! I have a couple chuhin sized Sierras (not as impressive material as yours) but I enjoy them! I will be collecting more this fall hopefully, and learning to improve the ones I already have.

4 Likes

Awesome, sierra junipers are one of my favorite too! Hope to add one to my collection soon!

nice sierras b_larson ! did you collect them ?

Thank you, looks like you have some nice material as well! I collected both of the sierras pictured. I have been collecting mostly native junipers, pine and redwood for about the past 14 years. I think it is probably my favorite aspect of bonsai. I’ll be doing a couple trips in the fall this year :smile: