Rosemary bonsai

Hi everyone. I looked online for examples of rosemary bonsai and i can’t really find many examples. Do any of you own one? I only have one and i would appreciate any advice anyone may have. I just got this rosemary around January and i been studying its growth pattern after my first big trim to see how it responded. After watching it grow i felt like it looked like a pine, so i went with that and i tried styling it to look sort of like one. What do you guys think?

14 Likes

Fantastic base!

And when you work on it, we eat!

3 Likes

Yea the base was the reason i got it. I was surprised that it was only 30 bucks. I like the old look rosemary bark has… Make it look ancient.

2 Likes

I have 3 rosemary. They are in very free draining soil, and respond well to alot of pruning.

1 Like

I have one dug from the garden - the previous owners of the house planted it some years ago. It’s waiting the first styling work when I get chance. I’ll share a pic once done. It’s nothing special but a bit of fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

My parent’s neighbor has a rosemary that is really cool. Im going to talk to them and hope they sell it. What would be the best time to dig one out?

I dig mine in Spring. I live in a warm mild winter climate they do well for me

1 Like

Thanks. Ill try and dig it out in spring. I live on los Angeles and i see rosemary everywhere here. I hope the neighbor is willing to sell the one on his yard.haha

I live in Central California lots of Rosemary here also

Nice. I feel rosemary is an underrated material for bonsai. Many i see have great base and narly trucks. Ill post other rosemary once i get them.

1 Like

Here’s mine, I’ll wire it out when I get time, repot in Spring :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Here is one i just got today at the nursery.! Im going to sit on this one for a while to figure how to style it.

1 Like

I’ve seen them air layer successfully on another smaller bonsai forum, incase anyone is interested

1 Like

Hi, great material! Can anybody tell me about backbudding on old wood, how far can you cut back, do you have to leave some green needles when cutting?
Thx
Volker

Yes, leave some leaves, they bud in the axils.

1 Like

Hi everyone!! Here’s an update on the rosemary i been working on.I just finish re-wiring the whole tree, the apex was hard to figure out and I’m still working on it…i try not cutting to much in so now I’m just going to let it grow for the summer.

10 Likes

Looks good! Love the movement! I also use guy wires to position branches and combine that with clip and grow for directional pruning. Apex is a little heavy consider thinning it just a little more. Great job!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Ill thin the apex out more… I’ll just need to sit down and stair at it for a couple of hours haha.

1 Like

Popped into Huntington Gardens in LA the other day–they’d put out Ben Oki’s beautiful weeping rosemary and thought I’d share.

11 Likes

Hello everyone, here is the rosemary with a more open apex. It was hard cleaning out so much of it. I do like how much better it looks now after the cleaning. The next phase will be to get it to flower now. So far, it only has one flower on one stem lol

11 Likes