Pre-mortem ? Pine repot went wrong

Hey everyone,

(all the pictures can be easily accessed in my Flickr album)

I obtained this tree about a year ago, but due to timing constraints, I couldn’t repot it immediately, despite noticing it was already root bound.

I patiently waited for the right moment, which presented itself this early spring in 2024 when I observed the candles beginning to swell, signaling an optimal time for repotting.

Opting for a larger pot to allow the tree ample space to thrive in the coming years, I utilized a mixture of coarse soil (1-1-1 ratio of akadama, lava, and pumice 1/4" to 1/8" as recommended on Mirai’s JWP page) to ensure better oxygen circulation, essential for Japanese white pines’ well-being as they dislike waterlogged conditions.

Regrettably, upon inspection, I discovered that most of the roots extending from the nebari were already deceased, with minimal finer roots in the soil showing signs of life. The inner soil near the core of the root system appeared to be comprised of aged, dark organic matter devoid of any living roots, while the outer layer consisted of coarse river sand housing a few struggling roots that were densely packed.

I proceeded to trim away the large circling roots at the base and the mesh of root-bound material along the sides, ultimately leaving the tree nearly bare-rooted.

I must admit, I am apprehensive about the tree’s ability to recover from this procedure. Although I have experience with deciduous trees, this is my first attempt at repotting a pine, and I can’t help but wonder if I should have taken a more cautious approach, perhaps by

• retaining the side root-bound mesh,
  • preserving some of the larger bottom roots that were actually alive,
  • or trying to keep old soil at least.

Have any of you encountered similar challenges with Japanese white pines or other conifers in the past?
And would you have recommendations on how to salvage this tree ?

Thank you for any insights you can offer!

PS : I also wrote a post on Reddit, and fellow bonsai enthusiasts brought some ideas as well !

1 Like

Welcome, I responded to the Reddit post.

1 Like

well. you might want to just learn from your mistakes. It sounds like you were watering it too much before the repot. Japanese white pine don’t like really wet conditions. It sounds like the soil was bad but you cannot do the repot you did with a white pine. best not cut off the living roots in favor of the dead roots next time. If you see root rot or root aphids, soak in very strong peroxide solution or water through with strong peroxide solution. kills the bad stuff but doesn’t seem to hurt the tree. you can buy around 30% hydrogen peroxide at hydroponics stores. bare root a portion - maybe a third. then repot in about the same size pot in a coarse blend. spring was a good time. I have killed these repotting in the fall. never repot them in the fall is what I think. for now be careful about watering and don’t keep to wet. maybe it will recover. if not learn from your mistakes and don’t do it again. Not sure what variety you have but zushio are the most problematic to me.

Thank you very much for your reply.
Definitely learning from mistakes…

for now be careful about watering and don’t keep to wet

Yes. Soil is good now, at least.
This said, I’m not even sure anymore what “wet” is after this episode.
I usually let the top 1cm of the soil dry completely before watering again (you see akadama/pumice becoming before light colored).

I feel like I should not let the whole soil to have dried completely otherwise roots would have 0 access to water, especially now I have cut so much.

What’s your watering habit for JWPs ?

about half as much as I do for other trees. I killed plenty of them. It happens. maybe it will recover but I think black pine are easier than white pine if you like pine.

that old soil is always problematic but correction on conifers needs to be done slowly - not like deciduous that you can bare root all at once and replace soil. might take you three or four repots before you are able to get all of it out. the sheen I find to be typically the last area that gets a thorough removal. cleaning in a wedge to the trunk works. I have heard others say they remove from the bottom in layers. I am not a fan of that approach as I think you develop good feeder roots in a location with the wedge and then can move to another area to wedge clean. not sure it would work well to leave all the old dirt close to the base like the other method does. need to work out your own systems. I would suggest you buy some cheap conifer nursery stock and start learning on those. I didn’t do it that way but it is less costly. you need to do things and then look at what happens to learn. your environment may be different than others that give you advice. good you are exploring this whole thing and not throwing up your hands in defeat though.Emoji

Cheryl A Sykora, CIH,CSP,CHMM

Senior Industrial Hygienist

Principal

Legend Technical Services, Inc.

88 Empire Drive

St Paul, MN 55103

651-221-4085

612-619-6547 (cell preferred)

CSykora@legend-group.com

cherylsykora@aol.com

| Nerard
March 21 |

• | - |

Thank you very much for your reply.
Definitely learning from mistakes…

for now be careful about watering and don’t keep to wet

Yes. Soil is good now, at least.
This said, I’m not even sure anymore what “wet” is after this episode.
I usually let the top 1cm of the soil dry completely before watering again (you see akadama/pumice becoming before light colored).

I feel like I should not let the whole soil to have dried completely otherwise roots would have 0 access to water, especially now I have cut so much.

What’s your watering habit for JWPs ?