Post repotting issues on a nursery pine

Hello Mirai people!

I’m having some dieback issues with a Pinus Sylvestris Watereri. I’ve purchased this pine on March from a local nursery. I’ve repotted it shortly after that in a training container, with a 1:1:1 substrate composition. The tree was kept in shade and from wind protection for the first 3 weeks. I kept the tree misted on the foliage during this period of time. After that I transition it in a more lighted location (still partial shade) it got little sun in the morning, wind protection still, and I stopped the misting. For the last weeks we’ve got rainy and cloudy weather so we didn’t get intense sun. Right now is still in a protected aria (is not outside). I’ve notice diebacks on weak branches, and on the low branches also. When I purchased it, it had a little dieback on one branch, but I wasn’t very concerned about it (now it died a little more), because it got plenty of healthy foliage, like 3, 4 or 5 candles per shoot and interior back budding. The roots were healthy, I’ve cut a portion of them, but not very hard, just to encourage new growth and I didn’t bare-root the tree. I’ve kept a portion of the nursery soil intact. So my question is this, is the tree going to thrive? Or it will slowly going to die? What to do in this situation?

Tnx!
Lucian

1 Like

I don’t have as much experience with pines as others but a picture would help.

It’s not outside? Is it in a greenhouse?

Hey Kevin!

In some portions the candles shows that the needles start to emerge from the sheath, but they kind of stopped expending for more than 2-3 weeks. The canopy of the tree looks healthy. I have also purchased at the same time, two small mugo pines from the same nursery, I have also repotted them and they seem to be ok, because I’ve kept them protected their candles evolved in needles already. I live in the northern hemisphere, zone 7. In March we experienced hot weather, but right now in April we had few nights with 2°C/5°C. All my pines that are outside are slowly starting to show the buds and the candles are not active yet.

I don’t have a greenhouse! I live in the city, so an unheated balcony is doing the trick for me, for now… I hope :)! After the recovering process and when the weather gets establish, my goal is to put them outside.