Planting angle and pot choice for White Cedar?

Or a narwhal.

Tree looks great. In the future I would suggest moving tree slightly to the right although perhaps the large root on the right side makes that hard to do for now. You could thin out the foliage on the left where the wind seems to have come from by pruning and also wiring the foliage flat to help create more differentiation between the branch pads with negative space. And perhaps lower the branches on the right a little more and again create some negative space between branches.

After seeing the original photo, I think you have done an amazing job. All of my suggestions are minor adjustments.

1 Like

I like the shape of the pot, and the planting angle.
The color of the pot seems to bright for me though. But it’s not too bad. Is there any wire on this tree?

Thanks, I agree with alot of what you said, will plan to incorporate more negative space and thinning out (shortening) the left side.

Thanks Tommy, I agree that the color of the pot is just a bit off for my taste. Its hard to commission a pot and get it exactly right. Also, yes there is quite a bit of wire on the tree.

Absolutely stunning. You should expose it in the National

I really appreciate seeing the transition of this tree. It has really come a long way in a short time since collection in '16. Hat’s off! I think you have the right idea as far as what it needs to be when thinned out to create more negative space. I like the horn. It’s naturally unnatural with that hard 45 angle. I think many would have turned it on it’s side and made the deadwood the apex. I can see what you mean with the pot being bright. Is it glazed? If not would walnut or olive oil darken it a bit?

Very nice EWC! I have one that isn’t nearly as special, but I enjoy it. I’m hoping to pot it down a little lower in this Bon-Sai nanban next spring.

I’d love to see yours in a softer Gyouzan oval! There is so much femininity to this tree even with the spire.

Best,
Joe

2 Likes

Thanks @rafi I would love to do that one day.

Thanks @moon I have been really suprised with how quickly this tree has come along. I did start treating the roots and preparing the tree in the ground in 2015 which helped quicken the transition. Also, I did have some recommendations to have the horn stuck straight up but the base would not be very stable looking in my opinion.

@Joe_Perry I really like your tree, I think I remember seeing it on Instagram? Has a really nice wild feeling to it. Some control of the foliage will really make it look better in the future. Cool tree!

1 Like

@MattSfromMI, if I may offer one suggestion for consideration. I would ask you to consider removing the lower most jin (or even all) on the bottom left that in my opinion are taking away the attention from the nice curve of the trunk. I know it is blasphemy to remove deadwood but blasphemy is a victimless crime so its ok to suggest.

1 Like

Hi @rafi thanks for your thoughts. I have considered at least shortening both of the lowest two jins on the left. The second one has a live vein and some foliage on the end but it may still go because the foliage there is a bit too far from the trunk. Deadwood blasphemy is ok with me… haha

1 Like

I think the tree looks awesome! That deadwood is what makes this material unique. I personally would do everything in my power to showcase that deadwood. I do agree with @rafi in removing the bottom two branches on the left. But as far as that deadwoods concerned? That’s the most appealing feature of the tree. Embrace it!