Pinus unknownicus please help identify

Picked this up at a nursery with no tag.

2 Likes

I can’t tell how many needles are in each fascicle. Could you see if it is a 2 needle pine? Bark looks like Scots.

Yes it is a two needle.

I would go with Scots until you hear otherwise. The most important thing is that it doesn’t look like any of the double-flush pines to me.

OK, thank you Joe :slight_smile:

1 Like

someone has suggested bosnian pine, I think this might be right, it looks quite different than my “gold coin” scotts pine. It was cheap so it a good project to experiment on.

I do not think this is a scots pine. The needles are too thick and I do not see that scots orangish trunk/branches.

If it’s a two needle pine I would guess it’s a lodgepole based on the bark/needle color.

Bosnian pine has reallly strong needles. It hurts to handle a Bosnian pine. I’m not going to hazard a guess here as I’m not trying to mislead you unintentionally, attempting to identity a tree over a computer screen. I just wanted to add that bit to the Bosnian pine suggestion. If the needs feel stronger than usual and it actually hurts to touch them then that could be right.

Maybe do a little research on Pinus Nigra (Austrian Pine, Black Pine) as well.

Yes you are right I have noticed that they bite when browsing at the plant nursery.
This tree does not bite :slight_smile:

Not sire its a scotts pine. It seems to green and the needles dont have a twist to them. Lodge pole pine needles are more square in section and it has a very terpinol smell if you break or pull the needles. More likely to be a black pine or pinus nigra, an austrian black pine. Not to be confused with a japanese black pine.

The buds in spring would help identify it or the cones, but if it is not a graft then it will not have cones for more than 10 years…

Is there an obvious graft union near the base?

Robin

Yes there appears to be a graft union. I’ll check for the terpinol smell :slight_smile: thanks!

Here is a picture of the new growth

Ooh neat, pinecones. If you were to let them grow (not saying you should or shouldn’t), they might help with identification.