Pine Fungal Routine

I was wondering if any of you folks out there use a regimen for fungal prevention on your pines? Personally I use Thiomyl(generic Clerys) as a systemic and good ole copper spray for foliar treatment. I’ve lost a few trees in the past to needle cast and am always paranoid with pines and fungal problems. I’m interested in hearing what your experiences are?

1 Like

I only do Daconil/Copper on pines that have displayed susceptibility the previous year. I spray weekly as the needles emerge from the candle. Once the needles harden off, I stop spraying. Sometimes we have a wet summer and I’ll do the same on decandled pines that were symptomatic.

My observations so far is that my multi-flush tend to be susceptible and the single flush have not. I’ve also noted that pines in poor soil also tend to be more likely to get it. Once I’ve swapped into 1:1:1 and have a healthy root system built, I rarely see infection.

This is the method that Ryan taught in class. We tend to avoid spraying unless the tree is telling us it needs it.

4 Likes

I agree. From my experiences its has also been with multi flush pines that are in nursery stock soil. Once in inorganic substrate its rarely seen. Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

1 Like

similar approach and experience here.
White pine had fungal issue due to root related problems. Was treated specific.
No general sparring or “preventive” action done.

1 Like

I typically dont follow a palative fungal routine. I do infrequently see problems, and deal with them as needed.
Good health goes a long way. Good soil. Good organic fertilizer. Proper watering.
Usually sulfer spray for winter storage.
I use fungal sprays infrequently.
Talk to your trees every day!
Also, cover your soil. The root fungal mycelium is a major portion of the trees good health. Especially in pines. You spray, they die…My 2 big ponderosas came to me with nasty black mold. Sulfer spray and daconyl spray cleared it up in one season. Did not spread. Crazy happy trees now!
That being said, I keep several nuclear options at hand.
I’ve never had to resorted to a scorched earth policy…
Distancing should help… :roll_eyes: AND wash your hands, and sterilize the tools between trees. Especially pines and apple/prunus.

3 Likes