Help identifying problem with black pines

Could anyone Please help identifying what might be causing my pine to turn yellow to a pink with stripes.

this is my kyokko yatsubusa had yellow tips when I got it, but thought it may be related to the cultivator. Not so sure anymore. And next is my Tai Hei I’m not sure if they both are suffering from the same symptoms, or if it’s nutrient burn, or some type of tip blight. Both plants were transplanted late winter.

4 Likes

That looks like needle cast. You’ll want to start spraying fungicide as new needles start to emerge from the candles to prevent it from growing. It’s very common where I am so I alternate between Daconil and Copper fungicide every 7-10 days while the needles push.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! I’ll have it by Saturday thanks to prime. Now I’ll have to read every article on needle cast I can find. Should I only use while candles are pushing new needles, or just continue till it ceases? I have three types of black pine that have been moved outside since winter has passed. These spring rains are so unpredictable.

1 Like

The spores from the infected needles infect the new needles as they come out. You need to spray per label directions until the new needles start to harden off.

2 Likes

Your first pic looks like wind burn-its too uniform for blight. The last may be blight.

I would cover the points mentioned but will add When I re potted my BP I got a similar results but this went after a full season, I think maybe because I could have been a little aggressive with the amount of old soil I removed and maybe the BP was left with less Mycorrhizas Fungi and sulked for a season but now its all cleared and the tips are fine so I hope this will be the case for you :+1:

1 Like

Right before these guys went outdoors they were inside with some fans running to move the air around. The first one was directly in front of the fan. I agree with it being very uniform. That’s why I thought it might be someone genetic. I have fungicide on the way, there should be no fowl in treating them as a precautionary measure would there?

No it wouldn’t hurt to do a light spray. In fact I do twice a year with copper spray. In fall before putting them to ‘bed’ for the winter and again late spring before heavy growth begins.

1 Like