O Christmas tree, o Christmas tree

Hi Brad

Thanks for the feedback, I too feel this way and have had the same vision of Ryan which I did my best impression of at the club when I first started the styling.

I know I have left way too much foliage but at Nordmann Fir are fairly slow growing and I have no experience with them so I took some caution. There is also no budding really to reduce back to at this stage so watch this space!

What is your latest project tree?

Dave

I get what you’re saying, back budding can take a bit on firs when they’ve lost energy to pruning and styling. Below is a corkbark subalpine fir (Abies lasiocarpa var. lasiocarpa) of mine that just got its old vigor back after a couple years of slow growth. I took off the trunk that was full of energy, so took a little while to recover. I’m going to transplant it into the Sara Rayner pot next to it once spring arrives. I literally had to pry it off of the frozen ground for this picture, so it may be awhile…
image image

3 Likes

Hi Everyone, it’s been quiet in this thread and I wanted to revisit it as we just passed the Holidays and it’d be cool to see if anyone else went out Christmas tree hunting again and created something from it?

I grabbed another Nordmann fir, pretty much the only fir we get here in CZ, and was shocked at finding a multi-trunk piece that I think can be a decent tree at some point. Now it needs ramification, back budding in several areas and a nice pot to improve :). Did you guys do anything this year?

7 Likes

Rescued this tree from the street in my neighborhood a couple of days ago. It was unpotted, dry soil and wilting tips but I think it’s not too late to save it. Lots of green and the needles are hanging on.

Can anyone help ID the species? The needles are very fine and soft, mostly about 1" but there are some older and much longer 4" needles.

Also, assuming it is energy positive, when is the best time to work on it and in what order would you reduce the top and repot?

Hallo
looks like a larch-cultivar. I wouldn’t do anything than watering, put in shade and protect against wind until I see strong new growth.

Bernd

1 Like

I agree with Bernd regarding not doing anything other than finding that balance of water/O2.

For the guess on the species, my first guess is the Aleppo pine and this is the juvenile foliage but maybe it’s something else.

I think they do actually sell those as Christmas trees in some regions. Where are you from?

Hi
if you are in the northern hemisphere it couldn’t be a larch so I think Thomas is right. Here in middle of europe alleppos are no common, so my first thought was a larch :pleading_face:

1 Like

Definitely going to give it some recovery time before doing anything to it. Full wind protection is a challenge for me due to my exposure, but protecting it the best I can. I’m in Los Angeles, and we’re getting some high winds and rain this week. It drank up the first 2 waterings very quickly so that’s telling me it’s going to make it.

Aleppo Pine seems like a good match from what I can find online.

1 Like

It does look a lot like juvenile pine foliage. Maybe possibly also a cedrus.

I think it looks like a cedrus deodara, with the colour, shape and size of the needles. They look too thin for pine.

1 Like

I am still leaning towards Aleppo Pine… Aleppo Pine at Bonsai Tonight I see a lot of similarities, esp. in their image of mixed mature and juvenile shoots.

Happy to report 2 weeks later, the tree seems very healthy. All those drooping tips have perked back up. It’s pretty thirsty as it turns out!

2 Likes