Need help with Parsoni juniper

I stopped by an absolutely wretched nursery. This place doesn’t care, but I figured that there may be some neglected gems in there. I found very little, but did come away a couple Parsoni juniper. These need to regain strength before any major work is done, but I figured that I can go ahead and set structure now as long as I don’t make major cuts?

Before cleaning:

After:

I’m still looking for the nebari, but as far as styling goes I was thinking a tension design. I’m struggling with what to do with the leader on that apex. Do I use some wire to make the trunk more vertical? I plan on letting all of the branches around the trunk grow/thicken and then Jin them to form a “crown of thorns” sort of thing with the main trunk growing out of the middle.

My wife took the smaller of the two:

Not sure what to do with this either other than to tilt it almost 90 degrees and go with a cascading design.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that the smaller one has that acute bend in it because it was growing on its side lol. That’s the level of idgaf that this place has. :laughing:

1 Like