Need help identifying pine

I received this pine from a relative and have no clue what it is. I want to do some candle/needle work to it but afraid to without knowing exactly what species. I’ve tried my self but still confused. Mountain pine, shore/lodge pole pine, mugo…?

2 Likes

Are you living on the west coast? Needles look smaller in red pot and the foliage mass appears reduced. Mountain pine (AKA mugo) usually have darker green needles but there could be a problem of too much water. I am not familiar with the look of shore or lodgepole pines. If I had to guess l would say mugo pine in part because of the stiff, 2 needles per facical and the heavy twin trunks that have a landscape look vs natural.

2 Likes

Yes I’m in Washington, it’s a little hard to control the over watering issue it being spring in the Pacific Northwest. I thought I had it narrowed down until I watched a live stream of Ryan pinching a shore pine and notices the candles on my tree looked much different. Mugo candles looks more like my tree.

Looks like Mugo. Treat it as short needle single flush

1 Like

It looks like a mugo pine to me, so treat as a “short needle single flush”. It is not a lodgpole, they have a more square cross section to the needles, and it definitley has a mugo look to the growth, not sure i can define what that is. Even it it was a shore pine or a lodgepole they are both short needles single flush varieties anyway, so no need to worry.

3 Likes

My gut reaction is Mugo as well.

1 Like