Name that Tool!

I see this used by a couple of Bonzai masters on YouTube. Seems a lot easier than chopsticks. Does anybody know what it’s called? And why haven’t I seen Ryan using it. I saw him take one out on that literati stream this past week but he never did use it.

?? description or photo?

Couldn’t find the add picture button. Neglected to look at the top of the field. Here it is.

1 Like

Kama or sickle

It’s used during repotting to free the rootmass from the edge of the container. Ryan uses it (and goes over proper usage) in one of the repotting videos

3 Likes

Ive used the same sickle for 30 yesrs. Works well. The teeth stay Sharp. Watch your fingers, it bites…
Just be careful to NOT scratch the pot as you go around to release the roots. Works real well on pots with a C (belly) sidewall . The bonasi soil will destroy a knife or scissers…

3 Likes

Here it is. He uses the Kama pretty much right off the bat

https://live.bonsaimirai.com/library/video/repotting-fundamentals

2 Likes

So this tool is used to separate the soil from the side of the pot. Not a substitute for chop sticks in my opinion. Happy that the chop stick creation stream is now available! I had Todd Schlafer give me a mini demo on how he makes his. If you want to search for sites to purchase look for bonsai root pruning sickle. BUT the tool is not meant to cut the roots. A very clean cut must be used when pruning roots and this blade is not gonna do that. :worried:

2 Likes

Wow! Thanks guys. I think you probably save me from killing another tree. It’s just that on YouTube there is a program called “bonsai and killifish” that I’ve been watching and the master (can’t recall his name) seems to use it to untangle his roots much as how you would with a root hook (unless I’ve got that wrong as well). Thank you all again.

1 Like

So… a little off topic. Is that your sailboat on your icon photo? How big…how old… how long you been sailing??? :heart_eyes::heart_eyes: I have blue water envy. We sail in muddy ol flat water in the mid-west.

I use for the same purpose a linoleum knife that I picked up at my local home improvement store for a few dollars. Very sharp and does the job. For example like the one below.
44%20

2 Likes

Sailboat belongs to a friend of mine. Better than owning one. An Ericson 32 sloop. Slip is in Sausolito, so all our saling was in SF bay. Had to quit saling last year due to a health problem. I’ve sailed the coast to Santa Barbara, Drakes Bay, and chartered one in the Society Islands and sailed to Bora Bora. Blessed.

2 Likes

I need to make a friend like that… thanks for sharing. Maybe still go out as a passenger? Wow… chartering to Bora Bora!! My envy is getting deeper…… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Bora Bora was def. on my bucket list. Gift from my wife for 60th b-day. Can’t sail sloops but I might try a Cat. with friends in BVI.

1 Like

I have used a regular stainless steel table knife for this purpose for years. Borrowed these same knives from moms kitchen since I was a kid growing cactus and early Bonsai efforts. Very durable and since my folks grew flowers always a memory wink:.

2 Likes