Multiple air layers on a crabapple tree?

I have a crabapple tree with a very thick trunk (4-5 inches) and multiple branches off the trunk, but the tree is just too big for bonsai. I have done air layers before, but always one at a time…
My question, is as long as there are branches and leaves available to “feed”the air layer is it possible to do 3 at a time?
I would like to air layer the main trunk then 2 main branches higher up…My understanding of air layers is that as long as there is a least a branch and leaves above each layer then it should be ok…can someone confirm?

2 Likes

Should be ok. Has it pushed out growth yet? You might want to wait till the new growth has hardened off before doing so. Fertilize hard. If in case the air layer fails (but it’s a crab apple, better chances) you still achieve your main goal of reducing the size of the tree ,assuming that’s the main goal and the air layers are bonuses.

2 Likes

I would personally do this… Layer the two trees from your secondaries this year. Wait till they have enough rootage to be removed. If they do, you can either remove them or leave them there. Now, you would attempt to air layer the 3rd, which sounds like it would be the main trunk. This would be fed by whatever foilage is remaining. I feel this is safest. Ive tried multiple layers before x2 in the manner you suggest. The top 2 air layers were very weak on both occasions. One season I lost both of the distal layers over the winter, trunk separation did fine. The second time I lost just a single distal layer, however, the other was weak for almost 2 years. I have since just layer the distal branches then a primary that feeds the remainder of the tree if that ia how it works out. Done this to shishigashira, Kyoto hime, autumn moon, and cedar elm.
All loses when doing primary and secondary branch layers occured on maples. Cedar elm apparently doesnt care or is vigorous enough to wistand the multiple layers. I live in Texas, and it gets :fire:… May be a watering issue, could be due to species tolerance of heat and dryness, I really don’t know. I can tell you I dont lose anything when I layer just the periphery branches in first year and the main trunk or primary branch the following. Just my 2 cents. Oh btw… I have been looking for a crabapple material. Any chance that I might obtain a crabapple from you? We can work out the details later.

2 Likes

Hi @Benwa
Do you have a picture of the tree and where you want to make the layers?
As I understand it, the more sugars and starches to can drive back down the phloem, the quicker roots will form at the cut, as long as the original root system and xylem are functional.
If you want to layer the main trunk, it may be prudent to complete this first and the move on to secondary branch layers once new main trunk root system is established. Layering process robs from the original roots and redistributes the energy into new roots.
If you just wanted to make layers on secondary branches, in theory, you can do as many as you want, but if you want to do a layer above a layer, think twice. Best to build a tree from the roots up, not the other way around.

1 Like