Moss haul for terrarium and top dressing

Visited a couple spots this week and brought back a decent hall. It’s primarily for a moss terrarium I’m putting together, but the rest will be used for top dressing once I watch the top dressing video.

Dark green stuff was collected an hour ago from a nursery in their shady area. The lime green was collected on July 4th from underneath a random tree.

1 Like

Looks like a nice haul of pillow miss and club moss! It’s always nice to have an idea of where to find moss when you need it.

1 Like

So far I’ve just been finding it randomly. I’m gonna need to order a replacement credit card though. It’s my collection tool. :rofl:

1 Like

I know this is off topic, but here’s the terrarium…minus the glass lol.

1 Like

Get a multi-tool to carry in your pocket or your car. A putty knife works great and gets the moss loose from the soil in my experience. Or use a credit card that some slimy bank sends you without requesting it. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Used gift cards are another good scraping tool. Put $5 on a Walmart gift card, use immediately it to buy gas, and it’s yours.

1 Like

Good shout re any card! I was bravely going out with foldable pocket knife in London where stabbing seems to be some kinda trend… But everytime I pull out the knife I had a sweat on my face thinking police can see me at that very moment of scrapping the precious moss wherever I spotted nice one with hopes I’m not looking suspicious to attack anyone passing by…

2 Likes

Okay, so I watched the top dressing stream. Ryan doesn’t say how to store the moss though. :confused: I won’t need it until spring, so do I just put it in an open ziplock until the moss fully dries and then seal the bag?

1 Like

I would leave it to dry being spread out of plastic bag. I did collect the moss during the winter (cos south of UK has no freezing winter but perfect for creating moss patches everywhere) and dried it under the radiator to be sure it is totally dry. Then shred/bag/seal it along with sphagnum moss.
Used in spring when repoting as top dress.
Hope that helps.

2 Likes

@Bonsai_Bentley I spread collected moss in front to a dehumidifier until bone-dry then just store it in zip-lock bags. I do the same thing for sphagnum (separate bag to native moss), which I find much easier to top dress with then it’s dry.

Despite the best moss often being on tree trunks and branches. I avoid collecting moss from trees in efforts to prevent introducing diseases.

1 Like

Good idea. I just left it outside on some paper towels and it got plenty dry. I grated it on my sifter yesterday and got a nice haul. I’ll do the sphagnum later in the winter in prep for sprint repotting.

1 Like