Monterey pine growth question

Collected this Monterey pine last year and it’s been doing well but I’ve noticed that it’s pushed some buds to needle out which seems strange as it’s currently late Autumn here. I’ve heard Ryan mention that P. radiata can behave as a multi flush pine under some circumstances, is this what he’s referring to? Is this normal behavior or something I need to worry about? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m new to Bonsai and this is my first collected piece of material.

1 Like

I live in the Monterey area and have several Monterey Pines that I have kept for a long time. I have some that are 50 plus years old, highly underrated bonsai pine material. These trees are amazing for bonsai. They produce really great craggy bark pretty quickly and have bright beautiful soft needles. They are really fast growing trees and can be multiflush depending on when you prune them and how healthy the tree is.

1 Like

I totally agree I’ve always wanted to visit, we have so many Monterey pine and Cypress here some of our coast line looks so similar. Thank you, I also found some answers in a live Q&A, I’m excited for spring to roll round :+1: