Massive ume work help

Hi everyone I aquired these huge ume but they have same huge branches that need some selection. These were dug out of the field this season. I was thinking of repotting next season. I’m wondering if now would be an opportune time to cut off some off this massive branches that won’t contribute to the design.

Most of the older ume I have seen include a fair amount of deadwood. I would make sure to keep anything that might contribute. With that being said, I would probably keep everything this year to help the tree recover from collection.

2 Likes

Personally I’d leave it all alone to recover through this year(and possibly next).

1 Like

The usual recommendation is to do major root work after collection as the tree will be the strongest. These would be on the limit as they started to leaf out so not sure what I would do myself. But doing the root work after collection and putting it in a box or anderson flat would be my usual course of action. I agree with the other that I would wait with styling.

1 Like

+1 for leave it alone for a year. Leave maximum options depending on how the tree responds

1 Like

Welp…I wished I received this advice a day earlier. Lessons learned. Wish me luck. Less is more. I def cut off too much also.

2 Likes

Where did you get these Ume from? I would love to have some stock like this to work on! I have yet to be able to find any available Ume :pensive:

I purchased them from houseofbonsai

I’ve hacked them up and they backbudded!
But I’m not sure what’s the time line for this tree? Should I leave it in grow bag untill primary branching is where I want and then worry about repotting?