Keep or Discard?

Hello
I found this little boxwood at a local nursery this weekend. Should I keep what is growing at the base of the tree? Is it beneficial or cause problems?
Thanks

I’m not clear on what exactly you are referring to. Are you pointing out the crossing root flare/nebari, or maybe the liverwort?

I like a fair bit of crossing root. If you are referring to the liverwort, definitely get rid of that. It indicates that the soil is too wet and over time some moss or lichen would be a better partner for this boxwood.

Bonsai on

1 Like

@Yugen - I was referring to the green stuff, which I now know is Liverwort, growing on and around the nebari. I will scrap it off now. Thanks!

1 Like

rock on and enjoy your boxwood

1 Like

Lose the liverwort…
. New leaf growth should start in around 2 weeks. :wink:
@Bswe22 . If you are still interested… there is a boxwood live video on Mirai Live at 6pm west coast US time… bring a good scotch!
Bonsai On!

1 Like

@KurtP Thanks Kurt - I did tune into the Livestream last night. I was only able to watch half of it live, I will have to go back and finish it tonight.

1 Like

FYI. It will be edited and posted. Probably not untill saturday…
I have a nursery boxwood, not kingsville, twin trunk. Cut half of football and top last spring. Something to play on.
Pathetic, after seeing Ryan’s. Mostly flame style. Needs second root reduction and a shallower pot. Winter killed some leaves, too.

Bonsai On!

1 Like

I like that twin trunk. Looks good. Imagine your tree when it’s 80 or 90 years old. It will look just as impressive.