Japanese White Pine Fall Candles

I posted this in another forum but wanted to ask the Mirai community. I picked this JWP Ara Kawa at a local nursery. Nearly half of it is dead, but I loved the movement and got a good deal, so I figured I’d try to learn from it. My questions are about all the under-developed candles. At this time of year, should I just leave them alone? Cut them off? Why did they seemingly push so late in the year? I’m in Michigan Zone 6a.

1 Like

Just let it grow to regain its strength :smiley: :love_you_gesture:t2: :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

If you have NOT, watch the single flush and JWP videos… Crazy helpfull, and will answer your questions…

1 Like

I figured that was the best thing for it. I fed it some Biogold to help it along and dug out a bit more of the base to let it breathe. I’m hopeful that it will have enough energy for a productive Spring.

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing! Though I find I need to rewatch some videos several times to really grasp it. There’s so much great information in all of them.

Taking notes and pausing helps me with retention.

1 Like

It took me a while to realize that. Now I always open up my Google doc when I start a video :nerd_face:

Vastly MUCH better info on here and Mirai Live than on Bonsai Nut. My suspicion is that your tree grew late because too weak to in Spring. It should harden off with the short needles and be fine next spring. In your bitterly cold area I’d suggest burying the pot somewhere completely protected from rodents that eat off the bark and twigs or in a cold greenhouse. Perhaps could completely surround it with 1/4-1/3" mesh screen including over the top and buried in the ground.

1 Like

I was already searching for a place in the yard to give it some extra protection just in case. I think I have a solution, so hopefully it’ll respond well in the spring. It’ll have to be a big hole though :frowning: