Introduction to Horticulture books for beginners

Hey guys i just want some insight on some good books for an introduction or beginner level to horticulture, any information is appreciated, thank you!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been doing bonsai for 25 years. I could use a good beginner horticulture book, too.

5 Likes

ā€œBotany for Gardenersā€ is a good one. Itā€™s available on Amazon in hard copy or E-book.

3 Likes

I have been practicing bonsai for 23 years and I never got a lesson in horticulture like I am getting as a Mirai Student over these last three years. Thank you Ryan. All of you studying here are in the right place.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s an energy-positive statement.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, when it comes to Bonsai, books have potential to do more harm than good. In fact a few books really pointed me in the wrong direction when I first got into Bonsai. Peter Warren wrote a decent book which covers several basics-iā€™d recommend that one. However, many of the books recommend poor quality and outdated info. Anyone would be much better off studying Mirai Live than reading most of whatā€™s out there. Bonsai Tonight and Michael H. have phenomenal blogs with lots of great Horticultural info. The Kokufu albums and U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition commemorative albums are great books for studying styling, display, etc.

4 Likes

Hey,
True re horticultural knowledge through Mirai - really heaps one can learn only by watching streams and being on this forum.
I am about to start some courses (hopefully this September) and this book is for beginners, enthusiasts as well as tool to pass exams and get qualified however only in 1st out of 3 levels.
Check it out and see if it is anything suitable for you. Otherwise there are plenty out there.

1 Like

Cant agree more, its all here at mirai :clap::grin:

1 Like

In the last few weeks, the following books appeared on my bookshelves:

-Botany for Gardeners (RHS)
-Botany for Gardeners (Brian Capon)
-Science and the Garden (RHS)
-Principles of Horticulture: Levels 1, 2 & 3

I am almost done reading the RHS Botany for Gardeners book, it is a beautiful book but is just a basic introduction or a refresher for those who went through a science-heavy curriculum a long time ago (and forgot most of it).

I have quickly flipped through the pages of the other ā€˜Botany for Gardenersā€™ and ā€˜Science and the Gardenā€™, they do look way more in-depth. ā€˜Science and the Gardenā€™ is probably a rabbit holeā€¦ each chapter ends with a list of ā€˜further readingsā€™ including both scientific articles and books. For example, the 19 pages chapter on vegetative propagation lists no less than 10 books and 5 articles as further readings.

I havenā€™t touched the ā€œPrinciples of Horticultureā€ books yet.

1 Like

ā€™ is probably a rabbit holeā€¦ ā€™
BONSAI ON!

1 Like

Applied Tree Biology has some interesting information in it, not all of it completely relevant to bonsai but most of it is. Itā€™s a little dense but everything is explained so the book can stand on its own for the most part.

2 Likes