Bonsai books you read?

To develop and advance our trees we need proper knowledge on the subject.As a bookworm and a bonsai enthusiast i love to read books about bonsai. some books are truly golden and some are not. the books i really found important are,

• The complete book of bonsai by Harry Tomlinson
  • Bonsai with Japanese Maples by Peter Adams
  • Bonsai survival manual by Colin Lewis
    what are your best bonsai reads share your ideas this maybe helpful to some of us
    thanks
2 Likes

Has anyone read ā€œModern Bonsai Practice: 501 Principles of Good Bonsai Horticultureā€ by Larry Morton? Itā€™s published in 2016 so the information should be up to date with todayā€™s knowledge. Iā€™m especially curious if the horticulture is correct and in line with what Ryan teaches on Mirai Live.

Horticulture is founded in science. The practice of horticulture is founded in art. I have never known artists to be in line with each other.

1 Like

My recommendations (in order of when I got them and loved them):
ā€œThe Bonsai Workshopā€ - Herb L. Gustafson
ā€œBonsai Techniques Iā€ - John Naka
ā€œBasic Bonsai Designā€ - David DeGroot
ā€œBald Cypress: The Tree Unique, The Wood Eternalā€ - Clair A. Brown and Glen N. Montz
ā€œBloody Bonsaiā€ - Peter Abresch
ā€œFicus The Exotic Bonsaiā€ - Jerry Meislik
ā€œThe Living Art of Bonsaiā€ - Amy Liang
ā€œMan Lung Artistic Pot Plantsā€ - Wu Yee-Sun (1974 edition)
ā€œBonsai: Its Art, Science, History and Philosophyā€ - Deborah R. Koreshoff
ā€œBonsai Techniques for Satsukiā€ - John Naka
ā€œIntroductory Bonsai (and the care and use of bonsai tools)ā€ - Masakuni Kawasumi
ā€œPrinciples of Bonsai Designā€ - David DeGroot

4 Likes

I have a shelf full, howeverā€¦
Principles of Bonsai Design, Dave Detgroot !
Bonsai Workshop, Gustafson
Knarly Branches, Ancient Trees, Robinson
And of courseā€¦Bonsai Design 1&2, John Yoshio Naka!
I have a 1963 printing of the 1957 Japanese Art of Miniature Trees and Landscapes, Yoshima and Halford . I see great photos of trees I recognise; and techniques.
BILLS list is spot onā€¦ maybe add Hagadornā€¦

I have way too many books but for somebody fairly new to the hobby I always suggest ā€˜Bonsaiā€™ by Peter Warren. A DK book.

2 Likes

Next time I see Dave, Iā€™ll call him Dr Detroit.

1 Like

Love Auto spellcheck!

1 Like

I learned a lot of basics from The Secret Techniques of Bonsai, by Masakuni Kawasumi. It has a lot of good basic information for beginners, like watering, and design, but actually explains some basic tool maintenance and other topics that usually go unmentioned.

2 Likes

I recommend The Art of Bonsai Design, by Colin Lewis, for case studies and info on elms, junipers, pines, and larches.

If you havenā€™t perused Harry Harringtonā€™s Bonsai4me web site then I suggest you do that. Heā€™s published lots of his articles that appear there in his Bonsai Inspirations 1 and Bonsai Inspirations 2 books.

Lots of good suggestions above, but I have always liked Peter Adamā€™s books. His discussion of bonsai design and case studies are very good in my opinion.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious if anyone here has purchased or read Dan Robinsonā€™s book ā€œGnarly Branches, Ancient Trees: The Life and Work of Dan Robinson - Bonsai Pioneerā€. Looks like a great book, and I love Danā€™s trees and contributions to the art. Anyone?

Iā€™m also wondering if anyone has ever come across a book by Robert Steven called ā€œVision of My Soulā€. A guy I followed on YouTube, who has since mysteriously disappeared, highly recommended it and showed a brief clip of the book. Seems to be impossible to find unless you want to spend $400 on Amazonā€¦

1 Like

I recently bought the Dan Robinson book but havenā€™t read it yet. A flick through looks good though.

1 Like

here is my list:

• List item
  • Japanese Maples (original french version ā€œErables du Japon - 300 espĆØces et variĆ©tĆ©sā€) - Vertrees & Gregory
    - The complete book of Bonsai - Harry Tomlinson
  • France Bonsai magazine
  • Tomes 1 & 2 - John Naka
  • Bonsai inspirations 1 & 2 - Harry Harrington
  • Bonsais - Peter Warren

For the ones who like other form of Japanese floral art - and french speaking (havenā€™t checked if there is a EN version)

• Kokedama - Seguda & Sadrin
  • Lā€™art du Kokedama - BĆ©nard

By the way, I am in search of a good book on Kusamonos: if anyone has a good reference, please share!

ah! last but not least: Pinterest is a good tool to get a lot of ideas on design(s)

1 Like

Hi @MartyWeiser, which one or top2 would you recommend among Peter Adamā€™s list? Thanks!

bought! thank you @el_cheezer.

1 Like

Unfortunately there arenā€™t many good books on kusamono in the west.

ā€œBonsai, Kusamono & Suisekiā€ by Willi Benz - has been recently translated to French, check LR Presse :wink:
ā€œFour seasons of bonsaiā€ by Kyuzo Murata
ā€œFour seasons of modern bonsaiā€ by Kaori Yamada (who also has a book or two on kokedama)

Kyosuke Gun has a book on kusamono in his ā€œillustrated bonsai practiceā€ series (volume 6) and 4 books on the culture of wild grasses/flowers to use as kusamono or shitakusa. Unfortunately Guy Maillot didnā€™t buy the rights to that series. Maybe he could be convinced if enough people askedā€¦ but he still needs to finish the ā€œMini Bonsaiā€ series first :wink:

KinBon has a seasonal off-shoot called ā€œSanyasou to mini-bonsaiā€ (wild grasses and mini bonsai) that is all about kusamono and shitakusa. Iā€™ll take a few issues at the congrĆØs so you can have a look.

2 Likes

thank you @Michael_P! all references noted down in my wish list! very much appreciated! Cheers,

Youā€™re welcome :slight_smile:

For the sake of completenessā€¦

Kyouke Gun:
Illustrated Bonsai Practice Volume 6 - grasses
Illustrated introduction to wild grasses culture
Illustrated tips to grow 100 wild grasses
Potted wild grasses
Making a wild grasses garden

1 Like

I totally forgot Esprit Bonsai - Hors-SĆ©rie No 4.

I would also recommend all the Kaori Yamada books on ā€œsaikaā€. Itā€™s a cross between ikebana and bonsaiā€¦ ikebana with living plants, which looks a lot like kusamono.

1 Like