Inspirational Trees

7 Likes

Thinking of allowing some spanish moss to grow on one of my trees. Not to this extent though even though this is beautiful.

5 Likes

That first picture looks like a space creature reaching toward the sky! Like a sculpture :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oak_Bath_Dec_2010
Great thread, I’ve quite a few inspirational tree portraits from around the UK. I’ll.see if I can find a few. Here’s an Oak near Bath.

6 Likes

The next I dug out are actually olives from Paxos

10 Likes

Here’s three tree portraits from Llantwit Major in South Wales:
Hawthorne
Llantwitt_tree_5
Ash
Llantwitt_tree_4
Sycamore

…and a further sycamore, from Somerset (I think)

5 Likes

I was on a yamadori hunt and found this pitch pine(pinus rigida). The tree had expired long ago but the deadwood always stuck with me. The photo is from above looking down. It was growing nearly horizontal off the sheer cliff face.

9 Likes

Hi guys, finally got around to editing pictures from my December trip back home in almost 9 years. Checked out a grove of huge Plicata and Doug fir and mountain hemlock up top.

14 Likes

Looks like you were up in the Mt Baker Wilderness, I recognize that old Mt Hemlock by the stone cabin. One of my favorite places on the planet.:evergreen_tree: :metal:t2: :smile:

2 Likes

@MtBakerBonsai With your username you have to know these places :wink:

If you want to check out the grove, I’ll send you the rough coordinates. There’s several giants there and I’m sure there are some other spots but I only had a day up north to check it out. I spent a lot of my life at the Glen in Maple Falls and now my folks live in Glacier. Being in Europe for so long I’ve forgotten how magical the PNW forests are :slight_smile: And the yamadori!!!

1 Like

@ThomasUrban, well that’s hard to follow! Beautiful.

Quercus robur in Richmond Park (England) a couple of weeks ago.

9 Likes

That grove of old oaks is truly lovely @Ralph. As you’ve seen, these are the kinds of trees that really influence some of my bonsai work. Coastal and mountain deciduous too of course, but stately oaks, chestnuts, and beeches are big influences for me. Thanks for sharing these lovely images everyone, great inspiration.

2 Likes

Here are some rather more contrived trees, though nevertheless inspirational and beautiful, from my trip to Tokyo last year:

Uploading: IMG_20190223_114103.jpg… Uploading: PANO_20190223_114131.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190223_114320.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190223_121524.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190223_121406.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190223_121737.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190223_122328.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190223_123506.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190223_130140.jpg… Uploading: IMG_20190226_120012.jpg…

Yeah, me too. :slight_smile: Ancient and veteran examples of these three species from deer parks and the grounds of historic estates are the infantile imprint of “what a tree looks like” to me and some of my earliest memories.

I’m not sure your images from Tokyo properly uploaded. I just see this.

I think you need to wait while they upload before making the post. Do they show for you?

(Thanks @Ralph, need to be a little less hasty!)

9 Likes

The sycamore is very interesting. I saw a Harry Harrington video on You tube recently at a show where he was describing one of his(?) bonsai in this form. In the idealised form, like this, with the flow to the right the branches on the left are compressed and the tips upright, on the right they are elongated and more horizontal. The expectation is that it is leaning towards the light.

1 Like

It’s a response to the strong prevailing wind direction, growth is impeded on the windward side, rather than a phototrophic growth habit. There are many trees in this form around the coast of the UK, though it also occurs in mountainous regions.

@Silva_Naturalis great photos from Hamarikyu park. Fantastic place with some amazing trees! Here are some of my pics of trunks from Japan :sweat_smile: including an old Cherry and a beautiful large Japanese maple from a temple garden in Kyoto.

5 Likes

@Ralph wonderful. Wish I’d been able to travel more widely in Japan, though Tokyo alone was quite incredible.

1 Like

Sorry thought the second tree was titled sycamore but is actually titled ash. Here’s the YouTube clip I referenced see about 4:40. https://youtu.be/pAZLtYeueLo

Enjoy