Nature's Bonsai Trees (trees living in the wild)

If you’re a real plant nerd then when you go on vacation you take photos of the plants/trees in the area. Let’s see some inspirational shots of natural bonsai. Now I’m not talking about “natural” styled trees in pots, I’m talking about real, bonsai form(s) living in nature…

4 Likes

This was a Pinus strobus I found in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last fall, clinging and cascading off the backside of an ancient basalt flow, right on the coast of lake Superior. It was absolutely MASSIVE and ancient in its own right…no idea how old it was…

14 Likes

Cuz one photo just doesn’t do this beast justice lol

11 Likes

This basalt flow was totally covered in natural bonsai. Here’s a little Thuja occidentalis totally killing it! A LOT can be said as to the benefits of living on the coast one of the largest bodies of fresh water on earth…

10 Likes

I know that spot and that tree! One of my favorites for sure.

Absolutely amazing Motorcitybonsai. Thanks for sharing those photos, especially of the pinus strobus - my favourite tree. I have to dig out a few of miy pix to show but the photography is not as good as yours.

An amazing location for sure!

Georgian%20Bay%20White%20Pine0002Georgian%20Bay%20White%20Pine0003
Root connected pinus strobus clumps found along the Georgian Bay shoreline east of Lake Huron.

5 Likes

Some deciduous uro inspiration here. The hollows on this ancient apple tree were amazing, the trunk was basically completely hollow the first 6 feet up from the ground. Saw this on a farm in Maine where my cousin got married last summer.
apple1Apple2apple3

10 Likes

I’m slightly obsessed with White Pines, I love the irregular form. They have this natural asymmetry that is as unique as fingerprints. They also seem to laugh in the face of adversity, and to the contrary, thrive…

I recently came across some photos of trees I’ve taken in my travels, and I thought some here may appreciate revival of this thread. I have many more, but here are three for now. As surely everyone here will know, the photos don’t do the trees justice. Species unknown, but locations are Kuauai Hawaii, Annapolis Maryland, and Barcelona Spain. Those Barcelona trees develop some insanely absurd bases, that look from a distance like boulders. But that’s all wood from the clumps.

I intend to post more when I come across them.

8 Likes

February in maui

7 Likes

Found this old Ash tree

6 Likes

Google Photos

From my trip to the rockies.

3 Likes

A huge Willow on a bicycle trip last year and some old Scots pines.

(upload://1zFh9bx7M3kwzzkX2pWCxyC3pVw.jpeg)

6 Likes

Right on the edge of the coastline in Pedasi Panama

4 Likes

Wild Cotoneaster I think, in the mountains of Andalusia Spain

2 Likes

Feeling inspired by last week’s stream, I went and looked up some ancient Sierra Junipers and came across this spectacular example.

12 Likes

Beauty. Are you sure the photo didn’t get rotated 90 degrees?

This is indeed spectacular!!! Wow :heart_eyes:

1 Like