Initial structure setting on this juniper

I was given the honor of taking over someone collection. Most of the trees were/are pretty raw, but they have a great start. This juniper is planted on a big piece of driftwood. Wasn’t sure what to do with it until I randomly saw it from this angle. To my knowledge this tree has not been styled yet.

Pretty decent reduction, but the tree was healthy and is already showing signs of recovery a week or so later. I’ve compressed the apex a bit since this last pic. In the future I need to jin a bit more of the left, but I didn’t want to go any further with the reductions.

I plan on adding more soil to the roots over the driftwood and cover that with sphagnum. Been busy working on other things that need my attention, but I’ll get to it this week.

Before

After

2 Likes

Nicely done! I agree with reducing the foliage on the left more but the initial design is good especially since you bring the driftwood into view. I would say ‘ try to bend the jin in the back’ but after the last Tuesday live stream, I guess not. :smile:

2 Likes

Oh, that straight jin in the back is coming off. It was actually a branch that I was trying to bend and snapped. I really didn’t want it anyways, so no big whoop. :man_shrugging:t5: