I @*&$ing hate you, covid-19

Ryan was going to be the guest artist at this year’s NC Bonsai Expo. I had planned on sitting in the front row (something I never do), giving him a new black sweatshirt, bidding on whatever tree he worked on despite the grief I’d get from my wife and wallet…all of that is gone now because the expo is cancelled. I can’t even describe how I’m feeling right now. I want to cry and I want to punch a wall all at the same time. Disappointment doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I realize that my “plight” is wholly insignificant compared to how others are being directly affected by this thing. I just hate it. Idk where it came from, but if we can prevent these kinds of things by shutting down these “wet markets” then by all means freaking do it. Wtf.

4 Likes

I hear you Mike :slight_smile:

My club was organizing the French national expo this year (in May) and we had to reschedule it to next year. That’s 6+ months of work (finding sponsors, professional sellers, side activities, …) gone up in smoke, and we’re not sure we’ll have the same impressive line up of demonstrators next year.

2 Likes

I feel stupid for being this upset about it. I guess I just built the whole experience up in my head. Idk. I guess this frees up funds for me to buy a weeping pond cypress I found with a 10" flairing base. My wife doesn’t want me to, but I’ll kick myself if I let this one get away from me.

4 Likes

Hi Michael,
Don’t you know if the EBA congress will happen in the September?

There hasn’t been a decision yet, as far as I know.

I also hear you… the shows around here are one by one being cancelled. :frowning: it sucks!

1 Like

We had to make the decision to cancel our show, currently the largest UK national exhibition. I then started to realise that even Saulieu could be in jeopardy, my favourite weekend of the year. Both became insignificant when a friend lost her Father 2 days ago, he had tested positive. Now I just carry on isolating with my own trees and looking foward to it just all moving forward and my Family getting through unscathed… Shows can be re-arranged.

1 Like

Absolutely! I lost a colleague from the SF office 2 nights ago, he was barely older than me.

What (or why) is that @Bonsai_Bentley?

Oh, lol, because for the longest time he was wearing the same “Questionable Morels” sweatshirt on streams. All of his sweatshirts seem to be black.

1 Like

This damn virus. I hate it for your friend and I pray for them and all of us.

Our state convention is scheduled in May. To my knowledge it’s not cancelled yet, but I can’t imagine that it wont be and I’ve been looking forward to it all year. Didn’t buy as much as I could have at the beginning of spring hoping to save enough to get some good convention trees and now I probably wont be able to. I feel you. We’re lucky to be affected in such a low grade way (still have my job and so forth) but it’s still a bummer. I’d kill for 5 cheap procumbens to work on right now just to keep myself entertained.

1 Like

Why not save the money on the tree wifey doesn’t want you to spend it on and when this is over come on out here for a couple of days and say Hi to Ryan, and Michael, and Matt and Randy and decompress from all the confinement? You might even decide to buy a really nice tree instead from a master. She’ll probably even be glad to get you out if the house :grin:.

3 Likes

@Bonsai_Bentley, Man I was feeling bad about just going to visit mirai this April and cancelling that. But man seeing him do a demo would be something more amazing to lose. I’m sorry for your loss. Hopefully the stars are kind to you in return.

2 Likes

Thanks Hex. In the grand scheme it’s really nothing. No guarantees that Ryan will make the trip next year though, but it is what it is. I’m thankful that I’m safe and that my friends and family are safe.

2 Likes

Saulieu has been officially cancelled for this year. Maulevrier is still not cancelled but I’m not sure it will happen.

Yes the public notice went out today. I feel very sorry for Fred & Steph but I think shows will be affected for a very long time yet sadly.

1 Like