Hybrid Azalea disease?

I moved into a new home a couple of years ago. I have an Azalea which has the most beautiful blooms but the branches have some kind of fungus or possibly an infestation. Any help on what this might be and how to treat it? The tree is very old - grown way above the roofline to get some sun and most of these branches are shaded from the home. I have a black tar-like substance that is covering the under growth. I scraped off what I thought may be bugs of some sort and those little white guys “bled” when I squished them - not sure if was actually blood or just something else but it was red. Any help?

Im not an expert. Only have one azelae bonsai. HAVE gardened for years…
Bottom photon is… heavy LICHEN growth. NOT AN ISSUE. Probably a symbiotic relationship. Feeds the plant things it needs in return for sugars. If you think it is ugley, use a soft brush and remove. It will grow back, over many years…
Top photo is…classic scale (armored bug) infestation. With real heavy fungal growth on the honeydo (poop). Pretty heavy, for several years…?
Classic treatment is 2% horticultural oil spray , after flowers drop. Smothers the bug and eggs. Repeat in fall.
I WOULD: Hit it with a strong hose spray. (Note-- the honeydo and scale will go everywhere… wear a mask and gogles…) Dont be tempted to use a power washer… it will rip the bark off…
After the flowers go, spray all the affected limbs with a systemic of your choice. Researarch for scale and azelea. Spray the ground out several feet too. The roots will suck it up and the bugs will feed on it, and DIE!
I had an infestation of these (similar) scale on some bonsai. Came from my in ground maples. Nuked everything. Happy trees…
Then, couple of weeks, spray with the oil. Will smother any remaining scale and eggs hatching.
THEN, couple of weeks, IF the black mold returns, maybe spray with a antifungal…
Watch the recent azelea video, trim and train this newaki (landscape ) tree for optimum growth and flowers!
Hope this helps!
Bonsai On!

1 Like

Wow! Great response and very helpful! I had one of my Bonsai Club members also note that this was scale. Recommended scraping them off with an insecticide or soap and water to go more organic, but I like your outlined approach.

Look to see if the scale is ALSO on the surrounding decideous plants. Especially the shrubs under it and larger trees.
My five 40 foot tall maples were heavily infested… Took 2 gallons of concentrate Imidoclopid, mixed and poured on ground, not sprayed… (AFTER flowers were done.) Took several weeks, worked REAL well.
The wife’s car was covered with honeydo…
Some of my 140 bonsai were covered with scale…
I firmley follow organic gardening practices, always have… I DO still have honeybees, bumblebee nest, and spiders everwhere! (The wife is happier…) As a plus, anyone with mold alergies will be breath better…
Quaile, rabbits, and sqirrels…
HOWEVER… the nucklear option IS on the table…
…BONSAI ON!

1 Like