Help on planning collection and design of scotch pine (pinus sylvestris)

Hi! I found this to be an awsome place to get solid input, so I will try again :grinning:

I have found a great pinus sylvestris in a bog/swamp. It has great movement and is short and stunted, trunk of ~2.5 inches, and 20 inches or so tall. Although not as healthy as I would like. Some long and thick branches and som leggy ones. And really far reaching rootes.

So now i have removed the upper surface layer over the rootball and teased out both som structural and fine feeder roots. I made a trench so water can escape and used root hormone and packed the lower part and the feeder roots in pumice. I am now hoping that the better o2/h2o balance will trigger some close to trunk root growth.

My plan is to start fertelizing in spring and if really good growth pinch to transfer energy to weaker parts, and hopefully also get some backbudding. If a second and third flush I will repeat pinching strategy.

In autumn I will inspect roots, and if substantial new growth I will collect. If not I will wait until next spring.

However I would like to chop off some branches this autumn, but wonder if to early? Also wonder if my plan is viable!
Also if any suggestion on design it would be appreciated:)

image|375x500

?

6 Likes

I just want to to comment on the movement. Beautiful movement.

1 Like

THATSā€¦ JUSTā€¦ FREEKINGā€¦ AWSOME!
Youā€™ve got things well under control!
Only other thing I would do NOW is cut EVERY green terminal branch back to about 6-12 viable buds. Oxin redistributionā€¦ will force backbudding this spring. (Hopefully the tree isnā€™t under 3 feet of snowā€¦!) Pine strength is in the roots. My large Scotch pine responds well to this. Be conservative.
Unless the tree goes crazy, I would give it two summers, with more terminal bud trimming in early winter, before lifting. Your best guess.
Itā€™s way too nice to kill. Photos during and after; and good luck!
Nowā€¦ you said left at the fork in the road and just off the right side of the trail? :joy::grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, was also interested to see if others found this to be as attractive as I :grin:

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice!
Could pruning of the terminal buds slow down the root growth you think?

Also I did disturb the roots today when adding the pumice. Feels safer to wait with the pruning until I see new growth. But I dont have the experience to be sure.

Also I think two years wait is the safest. Easy to get unpatient when you find this kind of material. Was tempted to harvest today. But the last thing I want to do is to kill this wonderful tree. So I will wait, although hard.

This is the right image off top viewimage|375x500

Wowā€¦ wow ā€¦
I trimmed up my scotch pine before cold weather set in. Itā€™s now under 8" of snow for the duration. Single flush pine (?).
Elongate, trim back, repeate.

Sets it up for spring push and stimulates backbuds to push.
Your tree LOOKS crazy healthy for its place in the world. Strength is in the roots. Plenty to work with. New growth over next summer will build the roots in the pumice.
Iā€™ll take two pleaseā€¦:thinking::persevere:

1 Like

I love that nebari! Developed or was it like thst when it was collected?
I will try the cut back of terminals. I will send you two of those treeā€™sšŸ˜

Nursery stock; half this thick. Styled; into ground for 5 years, trimmed frequently. Lifted 5 years ago. Back buds like crazy on newer wood. Top grows, limbs not so much. Thick growth. Way too much to choose from to trim. Need thicker mid trunk.
Happy camper. < Oh ya, organic fertilizer and microbiom!>
Send them postage due ups overnight! Smaller is betterā€¦:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Measure, measure, measure. Yamadori grows a minimum of 10 fold when you get it home. Itā€™s crazy how much larger itā€™ll seem when you get it into your landscape. Be sure that you have the space for it.

That tree is absolutely AMAZING! If you have the confidence then give it a go. If not, perhaps practice on lesser material? Iā€™m on my 4th yamadori and finally have success. Going 100% pumice was key. Idk why I tried to fight that. After care is also key. Ppl could have told me what to do until they were blue in the face, but I didnā€™t get it until I went out and did it. Oh, digging up stuff is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY harder than you think itā€™ll be. Itā€™s no wonder that more ppl donā€™t do it.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I did some autumn collection last year og two pines mostly to practiceā€¦ But I guess I wont see if they survived until this years push. So I cant honestly say I am confident. Also this bog/swamp placement makes the feeder root go crazy searching for oxygen, so I wont collect before I see a lot of roots in the pumice. How long after collection do you have to wait before you can see that the tree is going to make it or not do you think?

1 Like

Well, as Iā€™m just now having some success with this latest one I canā€™t confidently say. Iā€™m getting bud push in less than two weeks with this one. Iā€™ve got another that Iā€™ve had sitting around for months. Iā€™m fairly certain itā€™s dead. Iā€™d say that it took about a month for me to know that itā€™s not going to make it despite my stubbornness to ā€œsee if itā€™ll make itā€ lol. About a month with my first fail too. My 3rd collection is still on-going. Some muscadine grape vines. Still too early to tell without digging into the soil. Iā€™m not too optimistic though. I did a horrible job collecting them.

1 Like