Garden display and combating wind

I’m in the process of designing my display shelves / platforms and I’m running into an issue . I never realized how windy it can be in my chosen location . Before you say , "just put it somewhere else " I can’t really do that. I wish it were that easy . SO , what are YOU doing to combat wind in your Bonsai Garden or display area?

1 Like

Are stockade fences a option?
A 6’ or 8’ stockade fence will definitely stop the wind

2 Likes

A modified stockade fence with the vertical slats mounted on opposite sides of the horizontal boards will allow some airflow through and also be less prone to being blown down in very strong winds. In addition, a solid fence will result in some strong winds at bench height 2-3 times the fence height downwind.

1 Like

I have used cedar fencing with lattice work at the top. The air movement was greatly reduced and resulted in fungus disease in my pines. My solution was to construct a horizontal slatted wall similar to the Portland Japanese gardens. Mine is made of inexpensive pine and treated with grey stain to reduce sun and water damage.

The wind is reduced from the west which is the greatest in my climate. A solid fence to the north protects from north wind. The flat stand is made of fiber cement treated with the same grey stain.
The slats were made on my table saw from eight foot straight pine stock. Just run the board onto a flat support the same level as the saw stand. Constructed laying flat on a table with vertical supports of green treated lumber. The posts are 4x4 embedded in the ground.

2 Likes

This is perfect . I’m gonna construct something similar to this . I think I can also use this to incorporate in some retractable shade cloth as well. Thank you everyone !

1 Like

I made a wind break (deer wall) and used pine and stone from my yard to create this. I have a retractable shade cloth over my benches and used these hooks instead of a cabling system because the squirrels around me love to use my zip line as a bridge!

No affiliation- worked great
25 PCS Screw-in Hooks for Outdoor String Lights, Q Hangers String Light Hooks Outdoor for Outside, Swivel Hanging Basket Patio Light Hooks with Safe Buckle Screw in Planter Eye Hook for Wall Ceiling https://a.co/d/ioYbYcy

2 Likes