Finding Live Vein

I posted about this tree recently and found out it is a Shimpaku Juniper. It had a lot of deadwood at the base and tons of bark peeling off through out the tree so I decided to start cleaning the live vein. This is my first live vein cleaning and I don’t want to damage the tree.

The base was easy to identify, but as i started moving up the tree I had a hard time identifying live from dead, and if I was digging into the phloem or dead wood.

The top of the tree had a jin so I tried to follow that dead wood down, but still had a hard time identifying phloem from dead wood.

Photos are attached, any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0336|375x500

2 Likes

Just posting so I can tag along. I have a very similar situation with my procumbens, but I haven’t been brave enough to start looking for the live vein. I also like the bark too, but there’s shari developing at the base already. I’d like to at least remove the bark around any obvious shari.

1 Like

So i decided to be brave and just keep looking and eventually I did find it. I realized the difference between the deadwood color and the stark white color of the phloem. Pretty difficult to see at first though.

3 Likes

The “Fall Physiology” live stream in the library has Ryan showing how to find it and remove the bark.

3 Likes

Thanks for directing me there. Clearly this is not the right time to be doing this work. Hope the tree is okay!

1 Like