Early fall repotting of US southern natives

Hi folks,

Feelings about mid-September to early October repotting of the following southern US natives while living in southern Louisiana? (Likely warm-ish through October, likely hitting 32F only very sporadically and only in Dec-Jan.)

Current conditions outside: rotating between daily sun and rain, low of 72F, high of 90F.

Trees:

• Bald cypresses (2-3’ tall, ~2" trunk diameter, currently in 5 gallon nursery containers, some branch reduction ~6 months ago);
  • Wisteria (1’ tall and wide spreading, 0.5" trunk diameter, currently in 5 gallon nursery containers, significant chops ~6 months ago but with tons of foliage back).

Also curious about thoughts on doing the same with pomegranates.

ETA: purpose of repotting: to get these suckers into better soil!

Thanks!

I live in Vegas and do 90% of my repotting in fall (October) the only thing I repot in the spring is my deciduous trees including my Bald Cypress. I do that in March or about depending on temperature. Its roughly the same weather here in winter, it almost never freezes and since we have such hot summers and warm winters, fall repotting gives the tree much more time to recover.

1 Like

That’s good to know, thanks! What if 95% of my trees are either deciduous or broadleaf evergreen? Hold to the spring repots, or good to go in fall?

You can do some experimenting and try a couple deciduous. Broad leafs are ok to repott as well in fall. The reason fall works so well here is that the weather is warm enough that they grow all winter. So it’s not like you’re doing major work and they go into a deep dormancy. My Pines push buds all winter. Decidus on the other hand are not in photosynthesis since they have no leaves. So I dont like to do any work on them and let them keep all there energy until it’s closer to spring wake up.
I could be wrong however. This is just the current method I use. As always, subject to change. Ryan may have different experience.

1 Like

If all you are trying to do is improve soil conditions, I have slip potted into improved soil into a larger pot in the fall. I then repotted to a trainer pot after the tree demonstrated vigorous health (after recovery for most of the next year).