Dr Earth Life – European equivalent?

With all the talk about Dr Earth Life going on, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts for a close equivalent for the EU / UK market?

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a vendor selling it in Europe (better still in the UK) which would avoid importing it from the US, that info would be much appreciated too.

1 Like

Was wondering the same. There are vendors for activated charcoal/ terra preta/ bokashi et al which also sell effective microorganisms. Did not check for the contents but looks very similar to the microorganisms dr. earth should include.
Would be interested in other members views.

1 Like

Kaizen bonsai is selling their own brand (Green Dream) micro-biotic aditive. I have considered trialing it alongside my use of their fertiliser, which I find dependable. Can’t speak to it’s efficacy yet though. https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/green-dream-soil-source-natural-micro-biological-soil-additive

2 Likes

I’ve used this Soil Source from Kaizen in some repots in the past (before I ran out). It only mentions being a soil additive, but I presume there’d be no harm in trying as a surface application like Dr Earth Life. Is that how you’d considered trialling it @Silva_Naturalis?

2 Likes

Yes, I would think a sprinkling of that product along with an application of RootGrow mycorrhiza would work its way into the open soil structure. An approach I might take is to top-strip the pot (pulling back the very up most layer of moss and organic build up) top dress with a light mix of the two, and water it in before applying new milled moss top dressing. That ought to inoculate the pot well without causing undue stress to the tree.

1 Like

I do however wish that both Kaizen and RootGrow would be more forthcoming about the contents of this product, as only Trichoderma harzianum is listed.
I wouldn’t use a product containing Trichoderma harzianum routinely, as if you already have a good inoculation of fungi (several of my trees have fungi that fruit every year and I don’t believe they are parasitic) T. harzianum may kill them off… plus what fungi that are in root grow might they attack?
Sorry, I have more questions than answers at this stage!

2 Likes

Neudorff has a range of organic fertilizers with or without mycorrhizae:

“Organic Multipurpose Plant Food” is a 7-3-6 with mycorrhizae
“Organic Rhododendron, Azalea and Camellia Food” is a 7-3-5 for acid loving plants
“Organic Rose and Shrub Food” is a 7-7-5 with mycorrhizae
“Organic Tomato & Vegetable Food” is a 7-3-10 with mycorrhizae

They should be available in garden centres and online.

Personally I’m still mostly sticking with aburakasu (Maruta Tamahi or homemade tamahi).

1 Like

I would expect good results from Kaizen products purely from what results I got. See amount of mycorrhiza on pic below and I’m using only Green Dream fertilizer past 3 years after I switched from Biogold. GD ericaceous mainly when only tap water available and GD Nitro+ especially this year due to the “summer” we had.
Also the growth and vigor of black pine above it (that apparently doesn’t do well in UK) is phenomenal except the tiny yellow tips but hey I can’t stop the rain :woman_shrugging:
Now I’m waiting for commission from Kaizen for this advert :wink:

I am tempting to try Biobizz nutrients but knowing GD works well I am a bit hesitant. Why swapping something that I have finally proof of it works well? Especially since in this hobby it takes years to see the results.

1 Like

I use the products from ProBio Carbon. I repot using her Biochar in my soil mix and then use Danu twice a year. She also sells a seaweed and a fish hydrolysate, both cold pressed, although I was using those from other suppliers previously. My trees all grow well with no health issues. Her interview with Peter Warren is well worth watching. She will be coming to ExppBonsai 2022 in May next year so available to answer questions there assuming that all goes well. Benefits of probio carbon in Bonsai | probio carbon

1 Like

I would add that I feed with BioGold and water with tapwater which I filter to remove both chlorine and chloramine.

1 Like