Couple questions about development

Hi.

I have a few perhaps simple questions:

1. I watched a BSOP stream in which Ryan speaks about first set the tree structure, then wire branches flat, and then let them grow free, and after that buds will form closer to the trunk. He says that after placing the branches flat, there is a better chance for buds. My question is about young pines. For example when I bend the trunk or keep it straight, then let it grow free, buds will show up along the trunk even if it is vertical? After that I can cut off top of the tree and use this new buds as primary brunches? If so, is this true for single and double flush pines?
  2. Can I use for young pines and other trees in development growing in the pond baskets large soil particles? More then 6mm just like normally in aeration layer? Can I expect then thicker roots and faster thickening of the trunk than in 3-6mm soil? Are there any negatives of this approach? I noticed in first year after potting some trees in garden center soil and some in bonsai soil (bigger then 6mm) that trees in ordinary potting soil grow much faster. Can I expect growth will be faster (for trees in bonsai soil) then in the first year, after they stabilize and grow more roots?

Thank you in advance for any answers and suggestions.

Strong growth helps create back budding as discussed in the BSOP stream. It is most pronounced when the branches are laid out flat to minimize the impact of auxin from the strong growing tip. In the Telperion Farms podcast they discuss getting back budding on pine trunks by allowing a strong upper sacrifice branch that then has most of the needles stripped along the lower part of the sacrifice. The combination of strong upper growth and still having needles lower produces more low buds. This was attributed to Gary Wood.

I also find that I get stronger growth of prebonsai in an organic mix. I am currently using 50% 309 mm pumice, 30% 3-9 mm bark, and 20% 3-9 mm steer manure blend. The later tends to be mostly below 6 mm. I reserve akadama for refinement.

1 Like