Cork-bark elm design

What’s up everyone!
This tree was started as a demonstration at a market we were doings here in the Coeur d’ Alene area, however (really good problem to have) sales were high and I didn’t get to give the tree a ton of love then so I want to pick it back up here in the winter, need some design help. I don’t love the top half. I feel like I’m dropping the branches to much for the elms style. Should I be incorporating more of the branches I have in the middle into the crown? Any advice is welcome! Super stuck here! Don’t know where to go next!

1 Like

Here are the first improvements….

1 Like

Hi @BlakeWom66 and welcome to the forum. Normally you would have had a dozen answers by now but the world is a little crazy at the moment.
It’s coming along fine. For me i think you could reduce the main trunk quite a bit to make the tree more rounded. Just a thought.

2 Likes

I invited him to the local club meeting and he can get some feedback in the round there.

1 Like

@Keith-in-UK I understand what you’re saying, however it’s not anything I have ever attempted. Do you have any video or article suggestions on how this would be done properly? Would hate to ruin a tree of this caliber being the test subject

1 Like

Once you decide where to cut, make the cut straight across about 1-2 trunk diameters above a decent branch to become a new leader. You can cut back and taper once the stub dies back a bit and the new leader is established. Of course on an elm you are apt to get several new shoots on the stub and below the proposed new leader. I would think a good spot might be where the trunk makes a jog to the left so you can build some taper.

It might be worthwhile to airlayer the top instead of just cutting it off. It is rather late in the season, but if you can keep it from freezing it should work and be ready to remove late next spring.

1 Like

Thank you @MartyWeiser!!!

1 Like