Container suggestions for this Rocky Mountain Juniper!

I am interested in people’s input on what shape or type of container you would pair this tree.

Thank you for the input!

@ Chicago_bonsai May I suggest you style the tree first?

Hopefully next spring as I recently repotted this tree with Petter Tea in a study group.

Sweet! So need to develop healthy growth and new roots.
I did not know the history.
Do you have a vision of what style you want to go for? First repot or second?
Looking healthy so far!

This is the first repot since collection.

Now I want to grow, grow, grow!

I am leaning toward a similar size pot it is currently it, lower profile, and I see an angular design, or free form ceramic.

What do you see?

As for a style

Id like a multiple apex style with the large dominant apex near the main trunk, and smaller at the furthest point from the base.

I hope to bend a portion of the right branch back or in the direction of the trunk movement. Not sure that makes complete sense with the image in my mind.

Maybe something similar to this image.FB_IMG_1520946062771_1520972067807_1520977455132_1520980207451

I like the trunk angle in your diagram! Have you considered putting it on a slab or natural rock?
The more I see Michael Hagedorn and Ryan placing native trees on a slab/rock the more it seems like the way to go in my future. The maintenance is not increased in my experience, and the individuality of a natural stone is hard to replace. Just an old geezer opinion. :thinking:
https://crataegus.com/ see the red pine on a rock, first tree on the left on his blog.

1 Like

I have considered a slab or maybe have stone.

Here are two slabs I have collected that may work.

![IMG_20180322_155229688|690x387]

1 Like

Put the tree behind the stone at the angle you want and take a mental and digital picture.
There is no hurry. Did you read the blog that I showed you? Photo’s step by step to attach tie down anchors and how he prepares muck to plant on rock or slab.
https://crataegus.com/ … being redundant, but helps me to remember techniques.
Thanks for considering the slab!!:grin:

Yes and thank you for the link. It will be several more years before this tree is ready to be repotted. Till then I look forward to growing and styling.

1 Like

Nice rocks! Where do to go to find the nice stone? I pick up stones from farm land and old rock quarries.
:nerd_face:

Have you considered tilting the tree towards the right some 45 degrees so that the thick branch on the left actually goes up and away to the right? I would then use a crescent moon bonsai pot from the left. It will give you a lot more flexibility with the design as you’ll have the possibility of creating pads at multiple heights instead of what appears now with all growth on the top.

2 Likes

@rafi

Simial to this?

1 Like

Farm land, river beds, old quarries, backyards.

1 Like

more like this…

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll show it to Peter tea and see what he thinks of the image.

Thank you for the suggestion.

1 Like

@rafi @Chicago_bonsai
The tilt to the right leaves a lot of roots above the surface, but I guess the eggshell pot is a great one to build a wall on the left side to grow new roots.
:thinking:
It just might work!!

I love the forum :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Any roots in the air are not a problem, nothing that an extreme sphagnum moss wall cannot deal with. Check how much of the root ball Michael Hagedorn left in the air in his recent post that I talked about here.

1 Like

I’m not sure that angle works best for the over all tree.

Also the tree and container are out of scale.

At that angle it feels like a windswept tree, but the foliage would be on the wrong side of the deadwood. Well that is my opinion of course.

It also seems a bit more one dimensional as you lose the curve at the base of the tree at that new angle.

But I will look at that angle in person to better see it.

1 Like