Collected pine cones for seeds

Hey fellow members!

I just collected these pine cones (sylvestris), i read online that if i leave them for 1-2 weeks, the cones will brown and open and seeds can be collected.

Has anyone experience with this? The cones are still green as you can see, it makes me doubt if i collected too soon? Thanks!

1 Like

Looks to a little to soon. They should be more brown but still closed.
There are a few pages online that have instructions to extract the seeds.
It wouldn’t hurt to try the ones you have already. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I read online collecting can be done from sept to oct, and it was either those green ones or open ones… do u think 1 month from now they would be significantly more brown?

1 Like

Salut .
Effectivement c’est étonnant le graine a mon avis n’est pas mature quand le cône est vert. Si tu l’as lu c’est ok.
A ta place j’aurais ramasser les cônes ouvert et essayé de trouver des graines !

1 Like

I agree it is probably too early. I have found that the best time is once they start to turn a bit brown. Ideally about a week before they open on their own, but that can be hard to judge. If you can check on them fairly frequently you will find that those on the sunnier side of the tree will start to open before those that get a bit more shade so you can use that for timing. However, even after they start to open their are often quite a few seed still in the cones. If you have access to several trees, pick cones from those with desirable traits - short, straight needles and I prefer slightly bluish to deep green, but that is my preference.

2 Likes

Thansk for replies!

I can check them monthly. So i guess i see what happens once they turn brown. If there are no viable seeds i will check them in nature now and then!

1 Like

Hey guys so the cones already start opening and the seeds are falling out very easy.
Do you think the seeds are viable or? Since most comments note its too soon?

1 Like

Plant them a little later in the fall to find out. I like to cover the seed flats to keep the birds and squirrels out and then place them outside for the winter. The only issue I have had is when we got a nice warm spell in February and a very cold snap in March - they had started to sprout and then froze.

1 Like