Collected Chinese Tallow

On a club dig this weekend me and some other members ended up collecting some Chinese Tallow. There seems to be almost no information surrounding them that I can find. Has anyone had experience with them? They have gorgeous foliage that changes to reds and oranges in the spring, and they’re invasive here so there’s no guilt digging one up and removing it from the environment. This one had roots that looked like they were practically came out of a bonsai pot, but it is my first deciduous so I’m not really sure where to go from here.

2 Likes

Lol, I see that you also post on Reddit. :wink:

Typically you’re gonna let it sit in that container for a couple of years anyway, so you’ve got time to figure it out. Whenever it puts on a nice flush you can start to play with ramification techniques. If it were my tree I’d go ahead and cut the main trunk at the base of that stub and work on getting taper flowing to the right or left. Up to you. Cut that middle branch. It’s at the inside of a turn which is only going to lead to inverse taper. Reduce the branch on the left. That’s just me though. :man_shrugging:t4: Nice find btw.

1 Like

Yeah, I definitely post any questions I have on multiple forums lol. Sometimes posts get no traction one place, but they do in another. I actually already cute those branches back nearly exactly where you put the red lines. I have left the top to account for die back, but I think the line to cut back to is where I would like it as well.

2 Likes

I post on multiple forums as well. Different audiences, but if you watch closely enough it’s pretty obvious who I am on Reddit. Same name on BonsaiNut lol.

I have been tempted to try my hand at this species as well. My fear that has kept me away was the speed in which they grow and that leads me to believe that they are relatively short lived. I also have seen branch die back on the trees in natural environment. you make me want to try it anyway. Good luck!

I’ve read branch die back is an issue, and they are apparently short lived trees. We’ll see how it goes though!

1 Like