Coastal Redwood Trunk Chop - When?

Hello all!

I have a question about coastal redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens). I have watched the videos in the library concerning redwood and I may have missed this part, please forgive me if I have!

Does the rule for pruning after the buds start to swell work for trunk chops too with this species?? When is the best time to trunk chop??

I live in near Eugene, Oregon in zone 8b if that’s helpful :slight_smile:

Thank you for any advice or pointers! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey! Wanted to give you an update from my end. My redwood has a few trunk chops, and I thought it might give some inspiration of guidance. For cuts that big, obviously cover with paste. Also, you’re messing with the vascular system, which is key for elongating species, so your timing is good. Take a look at the Redwood revamp video on the library, if you can. The goal is to make sure those little green bb’s have set, and that you have a new leader, then chop near the new leader. Don’t leave a long stump, or healing can take longer.

1 Like

Gorgeous tree!

Thank you for the post, that is very helpful! My redwood isn’t quite ready yet but I wanted to clarify the timing for this procedure so that I will be ready when it is ready :smiley:

1 Like

Of course! Can’t wait to see your results.

Now, can I ask advice? How are you over winter? I’m in Lake Tahoe, and it’s 10-55F here. Huge temp swings. I’m keeping mine outside once the greenhouse heats to 35-40, keeping the swing from my grow light garage down to 10 degrees or less (garage is 45-50 all times). My pines stay outside all night, heeled into the gravel on the ground, along with my Giant Sequoia. So far, getting those green bb’s Ryan talks about as needed prior to wiring and winter prune.

What are you up to on your end?

Pics of cold house and a spicy Italian birds eye pepper I’m growing hydro to practice design techniques like Jins.

The weather has shifted around a bit strangely for us here in Oregon but not quite as low as you are experiencing. I think we hit mid 20’s this last week. I have an unheated garage that I haul my more sensitive babies to when it starts dropping too low, and I am definitely trying to keep the coastal redwood from freezing so if I see anything in the low 30’s at night (34 or lower just to be safe cuz I’m neurotic haha!) but other than that I have a pretty sheltered back patio area that definitely helps give me to buffer the temperature but more importantly the cold wind from flowing through.

This coming spring I have plans to put in a section in my garden where I can heel in some trees :smiley:

Oh wow, that’s an awesome idea to practice on the pepper! It looks great :slight_smile:

Thanks!

How are you thinking to construct your heeling box? Are you going to dig it down into the soil?

Here, we are experiencing a sort of “second fall” with temps around 20 at night, again, finally. I’m still heeling on the gravel, and am have been wrapping the pot of my sequoia with a hoodie at night. The redwood is getting some nice green bb’s, and the warmer days have not broken anything from dormancy. I think the night temps help with the dormancy piece, for the pines and Sequoia. Start of December looks to go back to single digits at night, so I’m grateful for this extra time during the days above 42F with metabolism and water mobility still moving sugars and starches into the roots and buds for winter.

Have you done a repot yet, or any big styling?

Oh, also, that sounds like a great setup to block wind, but still give you airflow and some sort control over dessication!