Coastal Redwood seedlings

Hi all,

Thought I’d share progress on some coastal redwood seedlings I planted in October 2021.

Today i thought I’d start moving them into individual pots. Soil is pine bark (orchid mix “small”) and sub-1/8” pumice that I had left over after sifting a batch. I’ll keep the test subject indoors for a week (just natural light through a window). If she survives, I’ll move the rest.

These have been growing in my garage under grow lights and over a heat mat. 28 sprouted, 16 remain. I planted an unknown number of seeds.

3 Likes

Good for you Steve! Once you get them potted up be prepared for an explosion of growth and who knows, in ten years time you could be winning a prestigious bonsai show with one of those seedlings…

10 years time if I’m lucky! Fun experiment though :slight_smile:

1 Like

If grown well, in ten years time you could have trunks of 3" diameter easily…

Update in the survivors. These were moved outdoors in a variety of different growing media. Best growth seems to be from the pumice+bark fines.

Have you sprayed with insecticide? I had the same thing happen to mine when I used a different brand.

No I haven’t used any insecticide. The dead parts are from lack of water during some really hot days here a few weeks back. Otherwise, I’m super happy with their growth.

1 Like