Cherry Blossom Rescue

Pulled this cherry blossom from a nursery going out of business. What should my next step be? Place in a nursery container with fresh garden soil and structural wire the tree? It’s been in full sun.

4 Likes

5 Likes

By “pull” do you mean you dug this tree out of the ground? If that’s the case you should plant it in pure pumice to regrow the roots and recover from the collection process. Don’t use garden soil and don’t do any wiring or other work until the tree has recovered and is showing vigorous growth. Any work you do now will diminish the chances that the tree will survive significantly.

5 Likes

Tim, no sir. I did not field collect, it was already in this run down garden pot.

3 Likes

The tree looks healthy, but it looks like it’s recovering from something traumatic. Given that its history is an unknown, I’d give it another year in a nursery container; just not that nursery container. Find a container large enough to hold the tree in the center. When trees grow crooked in a nursery container for long enough, the root ball will be misshapen. Trying to center the tree in the same sized container might be difficult or impossible. To slip-pot this tree into another container, carefully remove the tree without disturbing the rootball. Then position the tree in the center of the new container and pack around it using standard potting soil. Since you’re in Tampa, keep the tree in the shade for a couple weeks. If you have access to Wilt-Pruf, use it before transplanting.

3 Likes