Just repotted JBP but

Hello friends,

I have a urgent question, I just repotted my Japanese Black Pine. I know I suppose to wait untill autumn as a next repotting window but…
I repotted my JBP with the full rootball still intact, just repotted in a bigger container. Because it was in a too small container and I want further development and more roots.

Please tell me if this is a problem? Because i still have the option now to put it back in the old container since i didnt touch the rootball.

1 Like

I believe the tree will be fine. “slip potting” will not harm the tree.
Energy is in the roots of pines, so with no reduction of the roots you will be fine. :+1:t2: :christmas_tree: :smiley:

1 Like

Well, i did add new soil since the container is bigger. I think slip potting it moving it from pot to pot with same dimensions, would pot it in a bigger pot with more soil but no root reduction be a problem?

1 Like

Ryan is adamantly against this practice. Unless you work the root ball and incorporate the root system into the new soil, then you have a barrier that will create an imbalance in the system.

1 Like

Agreed. Even if you are not making big changes to the rootball you should still tease the roots out on the edges and incorporate them into the new soil.

2 Likes

I agree with the previous replies, I just forgot to mention teasing the roots. This is actually pretty common practice when taking a tree or plant out of a nursery pot and putting it in the ground or another pot.

1 Like

Hi @MichaelNL
If you are developing a tree - letting it thicken, then its a good idea to pot it on into a larger pot. You could plant it in the ground or on a colander (see colander method) to get the same results.

1 Like

Thanks my friends,

I think i am going to reverse my action and put the rootball back in the old pot…

1 Like