Bird's nest spruce

I am wondering if I should take the foliage back even more on this bird’s nest spruce? I have done the work for the year by wiring and tying it down but wonder if I am missing an opportunity to reduce the silhouette even more this year. I bought this tree last year as nursery stock (see second photo of cleaning and branch selection first year) I feel the roots can support more work if necessary.
Any other suggestions are absolutely welcome. It may never be world class but I would like to make it the best it can be.

1 Like

How long in the grow box? Need the foliage to grow roots. I have a Picea abies 'Nidiformis’ that is my icon in this forum. Put it into two different pots with recovery time between the big work. I am losing part of the apex due to poor wiring technique.

I took the tree home and put it right in the box. So 12or 13 months. It was a unique situation at the nursery as it wasn’t in a pot. It was laying on gravel surrounded by mulch, so I wrapped the rootball urbandori style and took it home made a box 12 * 14 inch likely 6 inches deep and cut a couple wayward branches off added a piece or two wire and let it grow.

1 Like

WOW… great save! Hope they gave you a HUGE discount for cleaning up their mess? Letting a stressed plant recover has been my plan, and it seems to work.

To be honest I have modeled my urbandori/ yomidori aftercare on the bark mounding method after seeing the root growth and health of those trees.

1 Like