Birds Nest Spruce

I bought a field grown Bird’s Nest Spruce at the weekend. It was lifted in the spring or last autumn and only just beginning to push new growth at the moment. It is still in it’s field soil beneath a single layer of fine gravel. As far as I know it’s not native to the UK. I was wondering if anyone has experience with them and if they have any nuances that set them apart from other Spruce?

3 Likes

My profile photo is a bird nest spruce.
They need to be treated carefully when you style or wire. The branches are brittle and I broke either completely or half way 3 branches.
The link shows what we did to make it look more alpine. Your spruce has an upright apex which makes me wonder why? Usually a nursery plant is pretty horizontal and resembles a bird nest… hence their common name. The roots are pretty exposed so your nebari is pretty well determined.
I have mine in pumice/lava/ akadama and it has wintered well in my very harsh climate outdoors.
See the photos of the progression. A side note, the pot in the photo broke from freezing and had to be repaired. I currently have the tree in a hard fired pot.

1 Like

Hi @Twisted,
If its only pushing now I would be very gentle with it until next spring. Bit of shade, don’t let it dry out and moderate fertiliser.

2 Likes

Somebody did you a great favor… it’s mostly already styled. Very good choice!

2 Likes

living in texas this has been one of dream species to work on but never encounter. obviously not meant for the texas heat but man do i wish it could have one.

2 Likes

@Bonsai_bob Thanks for the tips. I bought it from a bonsai nursery and the guy who owns it probably has grown it from seed as 99% of what he sells is homegrown. I suspect that’s why it’s more upright and not typical nursery stock.
@AndyK I totally agree, i will probably and will probably wait a year longer before I do anything with it except fertilise and let it gain some vigor. I have enough to work on in the spring already!

1 Like

I have a small needle spruce which has put on very little growth this year, but then it was hit hard with vine weevil last year.

1 Like