Bay Laurel as Bonsai?

I’ve been meaning to try this experiment for a few years now, but never got around to it. With all the free time due to Covid, this is the year.

I have a Bay Laurel that I bought 8 years ago or so. It spends it’s summers in the back yard, and winters in the study. It has developed a nice nebari, so I am going to see if I can make a bonsai from it. The leaves will be large, but maybe I can get them to reduce over time.

Today I hard pruned the tree back. Hopefully it will bud back well. I know it has in the past when I have pruned it back. Next step is to pot it up.

Anyone else ever tried this with a Bay tree?

5 Likes

Ya. Long ago. Really liked it. Was nice growth habit. Eventually succomed.
Not as nice as yours.
Nice other point, the fresh leaves are superior in cooking…

1 Like

I’ve been playing with a Bay Laurel that my partner has been neglecting for years. Just had its first styling and equalisation, so a little raw but certainly with potential and it stands at apex. 30cm. And certainly affirming KurtP’s adage that fresh leaves are best.

2 Likes

Yes, we bought the tree originally in order to have fresh bay leaves. It has kept us and all my neighbors well stocked in bay leaves over the years.

I see you cut the leaves to make them smaller. Nice touch! :smiley:

Real nice tree @Michael_Kempson.
Yup…Partial defoliation, and terminal bud removal… @Bob_McCarlie
No pesticides… if used for food. Not even been. Course, the bugs would be tasty…
Now I want another bay tree…!