Bald Cypress Trunk chop 1

After cutting the top off, do I use cut paste?
TIA
Victor

2 Likes

I would guess that yes you should and probably with the putty type cut paste.

3 Likes

Do you know for sure?

2 Likes

Yes, use cut paste. It will help reduce die back and start the rolling of the tissue to close the cut.
Cut paste has hormones to assist in healing of the freshly cut tissue.

3 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for your help on this. Less than 24 hours after making my cut and using cut paste, the trunk has already pushed 25-30 buds. AMAZING!!!

3 Likes

The buds are always a relief! I’d like to know more about this tree. Like, everything, man.

As for the cut paste: Yes.

I like to use TiteBond III then make a slight chamfer cut around the edge of the wound. The cut is just wide enough to expose the cambium. Sometimes SOMETIMES a bud will break right there on the edge. It makes for a smoother transition from the original trunk and the new leader. Sealing the chop with TiteBond III allows the tree to just roll over the wound without me being concerned about the swallowed glue. Most other cut pastes crack and flake off long before the BC has time to heal over. Then you’re dealing with rotting wood.

All this is predicated on what your goals are for the tree. Maybe you want it to rot. I just cleaned out a termite infestation on one of mine. Once I hollowed out the tree I found some interesting hollows they left behind. Sure, I treated the wound with TiteBond III, but the beasties came up through the roots. The TiteBond III seal was still intact.

2 Likes

16 days later - Update

1 Like

Do I let 2 shoots grow from one bud? I remember the tree had dual branches coming out in areas.

I would say hands off for a season or two… let it recoup strength before worrying about structural flaws.

1 Like

I agree with @Jhunsperger. You let this tree do whatever it wants for the next year. If the tree doesn’t appear to be vigorous, wait another year. It looks like a great start.

Bald Cypress update 6/11, more than 12 inches of new growth already. What an amazing thing to witness

4 Likes