Swamp cypress chopped

Has anyone done some carving or some work on there swamp cypress where they have done the trunk chop. To create taper or carved it

I have a bald cypress that I trunk chopped in 2011 cutting it above a small branch. I wired the small branch up to create a formal upright with taper. After it had become established about a year later I cut the back side of the trunk at about a 20 degree angle from the vertical and applied wound putty. The wound was about 1.5" wide by 5" long and is now about 1/4" wide by less than 2" long. I grew the leader out for a couple of years, cut back hard and grew it out for a couple of more years before starting to style the apical area. If I had rewounded the edges and used more putty it would have closed this year. In the meantime, the style of the tree was changed to flattop which involved brining up a branch from below the wound at the side. I live in Spokane, WA area which is not optimal for bald cypress due to late spring and early fall frosts, but with protection it has grown well.

2 Likes

Hi Marty. I don’t suppose you have any photos of the process along the way, that you could post?

I know I took some, but I can’t find them right now. I’ll keep looking.