Azalea dying help pls

Summary

This text will be hidden

My Azalea is dying. After pruning beginning June (just after flowering) looks like this. Does anyone has an idea what I did wrong?

1 Like

What has your watering been and what has its sun exposure been?
In the first picture I see 2 black stakes used for drip irrigation, what was its schedule? If that is what those stakes are. Azaleas lean more on the dry side, they do not like wet feet.
I am suspecting root rot :-1:t2:
Sad because it looks like an old azalea.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer. I use irrigation system sometimes in weekends when I am out. The tree was placed indoor since winter (I live in Central Europe) in the corner of the glazed walls having a bit eastern sun in the morning and some western in the evenings. It was beautifully flowering this year and than I was watering it intensively. When finished I pruned lower branches but indeed did not really decreased the amount of water (every day-every second day). Another problem was temperature I suppose. We had very hot June and I needed to leave for one week. The windows were closed and the temperature during day and night was approx 30C!
If this is the cause you presume (rotten roots) is there any chance to rescue it? What shall I do?

1 Like

I’m sorry this had happened to your Azalea. They do like a moist root system. I think maybe moving it indoors was not a good idea. As with most trees if you can keep them outside all year that’s what they would prefer. When I lived in the UK I would keep azaleas out side all year round. Most tees are much tougher than we give them credit for. Bringing trees inside for extended amounts of time brings very real challenges. I wouldn’t ever let an azalea fully dry out at all. Azaleas are a woodland variety. Dappled shade. Acid soil conditions. They are the complete reverse of a normal apical dominant tree. They are basely dominant so pruning harder at the base than at the top is in order to Keep these trees vigorous in all regions. So sorry for your loss . You never know it may re shoot. So don’t give up hope yet .

1 Like

Hello @irek. Just a few questions:

1. Looks like high rise apts. Do you have outside capabilities with adequate sun ?
  2. Do you know when the last time it was re-potted? (Peter Warren talks about closeness of the roots to the edge of the pot and over heating in his stream). highly recommend watch both streams.
  3. What happens when you manually water? does the water runs off or seep through easily?
1 Like

It is a root problem. It is an old and well developed tree which has certainly lived all its previous life in akadama. The roots of an azalea are extremely fine - almost like steel wool. It appears from your photograph that it has been repotted into a coarse soil suitable for a tree with large thick roots e.g. pine or deciduous. It is also an acid loving tree and I suspect the repotting soil is alkaline. It may recover if you repot into akadama. I hope so. Good luck.

1 Like

switch the soil to 3 part kunuma 1 part pumice

1 Like

there is an azaliea stream in the arcive

1 Like

David,

1. I bought It 5 months ago and It was kept indoor however in good light. I live in Central Europe with freezing winters. Unfortunately my balcony is south-west direction extremely hot in summer. We have hot summer this year and the temperatures in the sun are like in Death Valley.

2. I do not know when it was reported. They didn’t know in nursery either. Imported from Asia. I think of repotting it now. Anyway not much to loose…

3. Not really. It looks like it needs of repotting. The point is it sprouts but the leaves are slowly becoming dark on the edges and then die.

2 Likes

@irek, I suggest building a small shade cloth structure to be placed in front of the tree at the warmer parts of the day. it is best to repot azaleas in the spring,but in your case, maybe early fall with small partical kanuma. Please watch Peter Warren repot video before you do repot.

1 Like