Azalea leaves browning and falling

Hi all

I have had this Azalea for a year now, last year it did really well pushed out flowers. The tree did everything I wanted it to do.

This spring I have noticed that some of the leaves have started to brown, even some new growth. It is really weird as it hasn’t happened to my smaller azaleas.

Please have a look and advise as to what you believe is the reason for this browning. The watering is fine, i regularly check the soil moisture levels.

Thank you

1 Like

I’m having the same problem, and my tree looks even worse than yours. I sprayed it with Daconil, thinking it was a fungus, but it didn’t seem to help. Now the tree is totally covered with flowers, to the point where I can’t even see the leaves, let alone spray them. I’ve never had an azalea before, so I’m lost as to where to go from here. You have my sympathies!

1 Like

See I initially thought it was sunburn, so placed it in an area with partial shade, but new leaves are continuing to brown so that possibility has been ruled out.

From your images, it doesn’t really look like your tree is pushing new growth yet. New growth is typically a lighter lime green on mine. Mine does shed some of last years leaves as buds swell and new growth begins. Overall, your tree looks fairly healthy to me.

Photo for comparison (don’t mind the lace bug damage from last year, oof)

Hi Chuck thank you for your reply. The tree has pushed some new light green growth but not a lot. I think where I went wrong was I did not prune it last year after removing the flowers and de-heading the flowers.

I have checked the Ph and it is slightly on the alkaline side of things. So I have used a sulfur powder to lower the ph and make it more acidic. Its worked well with my dawn redwoods.

I will post pics late next week to show an update. Your words give relief as I was starting to panic lol.

Cheers

Hi Ali, very nice Satsuki! Any updates?
My shohin is doing the same, I though it was lack of watering but I still don’t know. In any case I found this very interesting post in bonsai tonight https://bonsaitonight.com/2019/03/05/determining-flower-color-by-looking-at-the-foliage-satsuki-azalea/

Heyy

I had a look at the link but that is definitely not what’s going on with my tree. As the growth is falling off. I managed to take some close up pictures or leaves at different stages of development.

Although it is a very good idea to show the different stages of development I can barely see the colours, I think you need more light! Also it will be help full to know how you are fertilizing etc.
Any how, I suggest you join the free live Peter Warren streams on you tube where you can ask him :slight_smile: his Facebook is: https://m.facebook.com/saruyamabonsai/
And in you tube just type saruyama bonsai.
Because of the lock down he has been doing this quiet often.
Good luck and please keep updating.

Thank you for your help, ill post some better pictures with better lighting. =)

I streamed into a few of Peter Warren’s live stream, never crossed my mind to ask him :grimacing::grimacing:.

Hey buddy

So I took some more pics and of the fertiliser I am using. I hope these are clearer. I have just started to fertilise my tree three weeks ago.

Thanks

Every single Azalea I’ve ever owned does this before dying out. I attributed it to the temps going up and lack of humidity. Would love to see you resolve it!

My azalea lost a lot of leaves over the winter into the spring and I was very worried about it at the time, but it is just finishing blooming and seems to be doing well. Before flowering, the new leaves seemed to be too pale a green (not your problem) but I put it under a mesh screen and it’s getting better.