Are these litttle black bumps normal? Shimpaku juniper

Just picked up this shimpaku juniper from a nursery, and I e noticed these little black bumps along the trunk / branches of the tree. Is this normal or something I should be concerned about.

Thanks!

1 Like

1 Like

Mine has them :man_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

If you’re a pro member, you should ask during Q+A (whether the live or forum Q+A, doesn’t matter) what the black dots are (seems like @Bonsai_Bentley might also like to know) .

Sam sends an e-mail at the beginning of each week saying when the live Q+A stream will be. For the forum Q+A, there will be a thread in the forum where you can post your images and questions for Ryan to answer. Forum Q+A videos are usually uploaded on Monday or Tuesday of the following week (ie, they’re not live).

I believe the Q+A’s were cancelled this week because Ryan is dealing with some family stuff. But they should be back up and running soon enough.

2 Likes

I don’t have the pro member sub unfortunately.
Looked around the net and couldn’t really find anything, so I thought I’d just post up here to see if anyone has experienced this / knows what and or if this is something harmful.

I believe they’re just latent buds

2 Likes

That’s what I’m thinking too, but the hypochondriac in me can’t help but think it’s something terrible like seiridium Cankers :pleading_face:

1 Like