Anybody know this fungus?

Hi guys,

i bought a lovely castanea online and after arriving i found this strange looking root.

I am not sure if it is a real problem. The look didn’t change the last few days but nontheless i think it is some kind of fungus. Anybody of you ever seen such symptoms and has any experience with it?.

Thanks for your help.
Michael

Castaneda (apperently!) are heavy mycohriza symbiont users.
Nitrogen fixing bacteria and endo- fungi. Including boletus mushrooms…
My horse chestnut tree’s roots have similar nodes. These DO look suspiceous
Oddly, the center of that root is shrivled. Upper right looks healthy. Is the lower left portion still alive?
In a different note, how large are your leaves? Photo?

can’t tell anything about the leave size. It’s without leaves at the moment and I have bought it a few weeks ago. So I haven’t seen it with leaves yet.

The rest of the root looks alive to me. I think I will keep an eye on it and check if it increases within the next 1-2 weeks.

One problem is that this is the biggest root on the trunk and cutting it wouldn’t be the best for the tree in my opinion. So I hope everything will go fine.

Sadly I think the root may be dead on the end that is shrivelled. Why don’t you carefully lift a tiny section of the bark and see? If it hasn’t spread since you’ve had it and doesn’t look any worse, chances are it has compartmentalised this root and providing the rest of the tree looks healthy I wouldn’t worry too much at this stage. I would though, definitely lift it from its pot in spring and take a good look.

1 Like